Chapter Twenty-Seven

MILO WAS BROUHGT DOWN TO THE INTERVIEW ROOM SOMETIME IN THE EARLY MORNING.

The darkening scowl on his face was hard to miss as he brushed by me, digging his shoulder into mine. He didn't hesitate in looking back, only to throw me a venomous glare. But I didn't care. He could glare all he wanted -- he was the one who had committed a sin. Or, multiple sins. Now, it was time for him to pay for his crimes. Even though Louella was terrified of going to trial with him, I assured her that I would be there for every second of it. She had me on her side, and always would. No matter the outcome, good or bad, I would always believe her.

But still, I couldn't lie and say I wasn't nervous either. What were the chances of a rape trial being convicted? Our odds were low, and Milo knew that. I wouldn't be surprised if him and his lawyer were also banking on that. According to Louella, the assaults started the summer I left -- a year ago. While they continued over a period of a few months, we didn't have any hardcore evidence of them. All we had at the moment was Milo's 'revenge porn.' Inspector Séan warned both Louella and I of how the cross-examination was going to difficult. It was going to paint her out as the bitch, the girl who was lying for attention, the girl who simply wanted to ruin another person's life. . . when that was the furthest from the case. And Milo was going to relish in that. Him and his lawyer were going to hit home hard with those points.

It was going to be brutal and I knew Louella had been spending her nights worry about if she even wanted to go ahead with it at all. She had yet to come clean to her parents about the incident, but she promised that she would in her own time. Everything felt like it was going by too fast -- for the both of us.

Already, the speculations online were blowing up. Living in such a small city meant that news spread quickly. Louella's phone was being spammed with strangers and friends who hadn't contacted her in years, asking about what happened. While some may have been coming from a place of genuineness, it was taking a toll on her mentally. I tried to tell her not to read the comments or reply to anyone, but it was difficult.

"Have you heard anything?" she asked me, biting on her bottom lip in worry, "I know Inspector Séan is in there with him at the moment, but have you heard about what he's saying?"

I ran a hand over my face and in shame, muttered, "Apparently, he's denying everything."

Louella exhaled a shaky breath and nodded. She was prepared for that response, but that didn't mean it was any easier to hear it. Her eyes fluttered close for a brief moment while she regained control over her breathing.

"What happens. . ." she started in a hushed whisper, "What happens if he walks free?"

Silence.

It filled the air with tension while both of us pondered the question. The truth was, I couldn't guarantee her that he wouldn't walk free. No-one could. It was merely a game of waiting and seeing how it all played out in the end. Of course, I would do anything to make sure he didn't ever get to see the outside world again. He didn't deserve to.

"How am I ever supposed to feel safe again if he's found not guilty?" she continued with tears pooling in her eyes, "Do you think he's just going to let me be after all of this? Don't you think he's going to come after me?"

"He won't ever be able to touch you again," I hardened my voice and fixed her with a warm stare, "That, I can promise you."

Just the thought of him standing beside her lit my insides on fire. I didn't ever want to even look at him again, and in the chance he was released, I would do everything in my power to make sure he couldn't come within an inch of her.

"Fuck, I'm scared," she released a trembling laugh. With her free hand, she wiped under her eyes and sniffled; blinking in rapid succession in order to not cry. Her shoulders were shaking with every breath she inhaled. I hated to see her like that, but what I hated more was that I didn't know what to do to make her feel better. No words came to mind in that moment.