Chapter Fourteen

TRIGGER WARNING: THERE IS A BRIEF MENTION AND DESCRIPTION OF SELF-HARM IN THE CHAPTER. IF THESE KINDS OF TOPICS ARE TRIGGERING, PLEASE, PLEASE SKIP AND DON'T READ. YOUR MENTAL HEALTH ALWAYS COMES FIRST AND YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

****

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM.

Waking up that morning, I didn't know that today would end in such shattering ways. It was as though the weather reflected the atmosphere too, as thundering storms washed its way over the house. Howling winds thrashed from left to right without any mercy. Rain pelted down at speeds faster than lightning. The trees shook and it was almost as though they were close to breaking in half. I peered out the small window, the condensation making it hard to see. A cold breeze wafted around the large room and I suddenly wished that I had brought a warmer jacket or jumper with me. Small goosebumps rose on my skin and I rubbed my hands together to create a little warmth.

"Is it getting any better?" Louella winced when another struck of lightning roared across the darkening sky.

"No," I sighed, "We're probably going to be stuck here for another while."

"God, none of the weather reports said anything about a storm," she said, "I thought it was just supposed to rain a little. There's no way we can even step outside."

Both Louella and I were stuck in the lecture hall with other mingling students. No-one wanted to risk going out for the fear of getting blown away – albeit it was a little dramatic, but it was better to wait things out until it calmed down. Even the lecturer was huddling over her desk with a steaming cup of coffee, trying to keep warm. It was known that the university didn't bother turning on the heating for more than an hour so we were left to rot in the bitter coldness.

When I glanced back at Louella, she was shivering although she tried to hide it by shoving her hands under her armpits. Her legs were tucked up to her chest and she curled into herself like a small ball. Her head was rested against the wooden, uncomfortable seats of the university and she blinked up at the ceiling in slight boredom.

"Here."

Without having to think twice about it, I tugged off my zip-up hoodie and gestured for her to take it. The inside was fleece-lined and I knew it would keep her a lot warmer than she was now. Louella blinked, as though she was confused by the gesture.

"Étienne, don't be stupid. Put your jacket back on," she scolded with a frown, "It's like minus twenty degrees in here."

"Just take it," I placed it on her lap, "You're shivering."

"You're wearing a t-shirt," she deadpanned, "I'm not taking it."

Her eyes flicked down to the warmth of the jacket for a moment and I knew she was only declining out of guilt. But it didn't matter if I only had a t-shirt on – she was more important to me.

"I'm not wearing it," I argued, "So it's just going to sit there if you don't."

"You're protesting?" she raised an eyebrow, "Seriously?"

"Mhm hm," I hummed with a growing smile, "Please? For me?"

She gazed at me with an indescribable look in her eyes. I stared back, relishing in the comforting feeling it brought. If I could spend eternity looking at her, I would – for it felt like a colourful and addictive abyss. A wonderland, full of love and warmth. My heart soared higher and higher in my chest and it was euphoric. Instead of taking a shot of a drug, this offered me the same sensations.

Her small hands curled around the soft fabric and she offered me a minuscule smile but one that seemed to light up the entire room anyway.

"Thank you," her eyes sparkled, "Étienne."