Chapter Eleven: He Knows

Start from the beginning

“Sorry detectives, but the doctors need to do some final tests before they discharge her, and I would really like to get home sometime today.” He growls out.

His bloodshot eyes are fixated on the men, they haven't even made an attempt to to look my way. Detective Parry turns back to me.

“Thank you for your cooperation Ms.Harrison. I think this is good enough but if we need anything else, we’ll contact you.”

We said our goodbyes and they exited with Archer in tow. The doctors, including Madison, came in soon after. They prescribed me some pain medicine and told me to keep taking the ones I already had.

To be honest, I have been forgetting to take them.

Besides the medicine, I was told to take it easy and they sent me on my way with a bandaged up thigh and bruised pride.

When I got into the waiting room my dad was sitting in a chair but he sprang up as soon as he saw me. He offered me a ride home but I declined and kissed him goodbye. I found Archer waiting at the front desk tapping his foot. When he noticed my presence, his jaw tightened and he walked out to his car.

I followed.

Neither of us said a word as he drove to his apartment. Once there, he got out and went inside, without so much as a glance in my direction.

I guess he’s still mad about that club thing.

Speaking of-

I walk into the apartment after him and slam the door shut with all my might.

“Archer! So, are you just not going to tell me who it was that shot me or why you know him at all?”

“Don’t talk to me about keeping secrets Layla.”

“What are you talking about? I’d tell you anything as long as you asked.”

“Oh really? Then tell me, why did you all of a sudden decide to take a ‘gap year’ and come home?”

My face dropped and I took a step back.

“I- I already told you. My dad was going through a rough time and-”

“Oh cut the shit. I already know.” He said, taking threatening steps towards me.

“W-what. How do you-”

“My mom told me while you were in surgery. They thought they were going to lose you because they couldn’t get to the artery to stop the bleeding.”

It falls dead silent.

“Why? Why didn’t you tell me?” He asks, his anger melting away.

“What was I supposed to say Archer. ‘Oh, hey. I’m back because I’m dying and wanted to be close to my dad?’ That kind of ruins the mood don’t you think?” I say swiping at the fallen tears.

“But you could have told me. I’m your boyfriend f-”

“So now you want to act like that means something to you. Don’t try that with me, I know this is nothing but a game to you. Why don’t we just call it a tie and you can stop pretending like you care.”

“Are you seriously doing this right now. Are you so blind that you can’t see what’s in front of you?”

I let out a humorless chuckle.

“You want to know why are agreed to this Archer. Because there was a point in my life where I thought that you weren’t such a bad guy, and that just maybe I could have some fun before I bite the dust. That maybe you changed, and that I wouldn’t just be-”

“Are you fucking kidding me right now? Since we’re on the road of confessions I have one of my own. I only asked you to do this dumbass game so that you would see how I really feel, and that maybe you would feel the same way.”

My heart  stops.

“W-what?”

“I’m in love with you Layla. I have been for some time now, but I guess you’ve been too obsessed with my idiot brother to notice.”

What? Archer, in love. What’s more, he’s in love with… me?  I think I’m going to pass out.

“I love you Layla. And I need you to understand that, no matter what.”

He said he loved me. He said- Wait.

As the butterflies swarm in my stomach a small smile graces my face. And the smile only grows as I get closer to him. He looks up to me with a terrified look on his face.

“Why are you smiling like that?” He asks.

“You said you love me.”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“That means I win.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The game. If I recall correctly, and I know I do, you said whoever says ‘I love you’ first is the loser and you just said that you loved me.”

He sighs.

“Are you kidding me? We’re having a serious conversation and that’s all you could think about.”

“Now, now. I think I remember the winner getting whatever they want.” I tease.

“Fine, Layla. What could you possibly want at a time like this?”

I take the final step that is separating us, bringing my hands up to his shoulder, and bring my lips to his in a sultry kiss, filled with pure unadulterated passion. After pulling back, I see the lust clouding his vision, telling me that he would ultimately take me where I want, with or without my request.

“I want you, to take me back to that room, and make love to me.”

***

Author's Note:

*Warning*

There's some smut coming your way... 😏😏😏