Chapter 25: A New Friend

Start from the beginning

"This shouldn't even be about me!" I raised my hands up in frustration. "You should be explaining yourselves not turning the tables."

"We told you everything you needed know." Mason warned me, his voice going cold.

"Not everything." I said slightly angered.

"What do you want to know, Lia?" Lina asked sympathetically. She whispered to Mason to take it easy on me.

"How exactly did this happen? Like...how did you become involved and stuff?"

"Well, we knew when we moved here that gangs were local. It didn't bother us though." He shrugged. "It all started when Lina and I were 14. Our mother, Alex, was at the bank to put some money in her savings, when a man showed up in black. He tried robbing the bank, and ended up putting a gun to her head, almost killing her. He didn't shoot, but he stole her money and some of the banks money too."

"Oh my God. That's terrible." I couldn't believe that had happened to her.

"When she told us, I was angry. Very angry. I wanted to find him and bad. So I told her to describe what he looked like." He put his head down, feeling guilty.

"She said he was wearing all black, and even wearing a ski mask. The only thing she saw was a tattoo on the inside of his wrist. It was a picture of a snake surrounding a heart." He described.

"Kind of like this:" He takes his phone out of his pocket to show me a picture from Google.

He puts his phone away

He puts his phone away. "So, I told everyone the next day. Cole, Jace, Ollie, Ryan, everyone. Jace said he recognized that tattoo somewhere, when he was walking on the streets one night with a few friends and saw a man walk into an abandoned building."

"We did some research." He said blankly.

"Not just some." Jace interrupted. "A lot."

"We found out that he was a part of a gang. A very powerful one. One of the most powerful in San Francisco." He paused. "They were known as The Serpents. Which makes sense since everyone in the group has a snake tattoo."

"Why would they be in San Diego?" I asked curiously.

"That's what we were thinking." Mason gestured to his friends. "We knew that the only way to face that gang was to make one ourselves. And we did."

"My Mom was like a mother to every one of my friends, and we were all angry after what happened. We wanted revenge. And we wanted it bad."