fragile

Darkness.
A cold, unforgiving black void blankets me.
My eyes flutter open and pain rushes to my head. I struggle to bring my hand to my aching head as they are bound behind me. Wrestling with the ropes doesn't release me. The coarse rope digs deep into my burns. An all too familiar feeling makes home in my stomach. Blood covers my shirt, the thick substance makes the thin fabric stick to my body. The pain pulsates throughout my body. Sitting in a weak, wooden chair, I let my head roll back welcoming the pain. The roof is high and wooden. Through imperfections in the structure I can see the night sky. I stare at the single star I can spot through the cracks. I desperately want to be that star. Free and carless, shinning resiliently through the darkness. A tear slips down my rosy cheek. For a moment I wish I hadn't found the newsletters; the gun.
Who was I kidding? How could I possibly think I could do this? Escape my manipulating 'parents', find my true family, find happiness. The universe is working against me and I was being foolish.
I scoff at my own absurdity, which sends more pain shooting through my body. My jaw clenches, lips pulled tight. I observe my surroundings for the first time. No Lilac, no Alex. I'm in an abandoned cabin, the wooden design rotting from years of age. The support beams are bare and unstable. It's a single room, only one door directly in front of me and a glassless window to my left. A cool breeze is floating through the empty frame. I can hear low voices just outside the door but can't make out any words. How did I end up here? This whole situation was peculiar. The voices outside stop and the rusted metal knob on the door begins to turn. Panicked, I try to slide backwards with my chair. It scrapes against the lifting floor boards and almost tips when I hit a lip. I shift my weight forward and stop myself from falling as a shadow steps through the doorway. It's clearly male, with a strong structure. I note that his build is significantly younger looking than the body builders that brought me here. He hesitates in the dark by the door. I glare at him, eyebrows narrowed waiting for him to make the first move. I want to ask about Lilac; about Alex, but restrain myself form blurting out questions that expose my vulnerabilities. Where are you Alex? I feel like crying again but hold my ground. The figure shifts, pondering, waiting. patient unlike the men in black. The same men that met with Alex that day at the hotel. He shoves his hands into his pockets and gives an uneven sigh as if he was freezing in the arctic. My mind is frantically trying to find connections.
Why me? Why lilac? Who are these people and how does Alex know them?
I was so caught up in my own thoughts I almost forgot that the guy was still there. He cleared his throat. I stiffen as he steps towards me. I feel too vulnerable and powerless bound in the small chair. He steps into the sliver of star light that I so desperately wanted to be, and the horror show in front of me is revealed. My confusion and anger and all the questions I have  multiply. Bile burns the back of my throat. My eyes glass over, the tears let loose.
"Alex?" I croak.