Nightmares

I looked around to see my familiar bedroom, the purple under toned white walls and fluffy comforter covering me. I sat up, utterly confused. I noticed my sheets, tied to the end of my bed frame creating a trail all the way out my window. I jumped out of bed, my mind running in circles.
There was a knock on my door. My heart sank, leaving a depression in my chest that was so heavy and evident it consumed me.
No.
The knock transformed into a vigorous pounding. I backed away from the door until I reached the window sill. I clung onto the sheets and began heaving myself downwards. The ground seemed so far. Barely out my window I heard the crash of my door announcing the entrance of David. I attempted to move faster but the ground felt like it was becoming farther away. I was never going to reach the grass below. David's face appeared above me. I glared up at him, a tear dripping down my cheek. He had a sickly sweet smile plastered on his face.
"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I screamed, though he didn't flinch. My mother-Mary poked her head over his shoulder. She handed David the small, black gun I had found and he aimed at me. Frozen, my knuckles started to turn white. My muscles ached from holding my body up.
Bang.
Searing pain shot through my shoulder. I opened my mouth to let out a blood curdling scream, but no sound escaped. I fell towards the ground that came much too quickly now. Blood smeared on my skin and stained my dress. My arms flailed in the air but I kept falling.

My body was shaking involuntarily when I woke. My stomach had left me. It was as if I had been sucked out of my body then blasted back in. I gasped for air and gripped onto the blanket Alex had given me. A light turned on and burned my eyes which were wide with panic. Tears streamed down my face, my mouth struggling to form words. Alex knelt beside me, taking hold of my hand and squeezing.
"Sam?! SAM!!" he cried. "It's okay, it's just me!"
My shaking slowed gradually and I caught my breath. I swallowed, struggling a little, and sat up. I was breathing heavily. Sweat beaded my forehead.
"Hey, hey Sam," Alex cooed. "It's just me,"
I let my tears flow in a steady stream, soaking my cheeks and making my eyes bloodshot. Alex sat up beside me on the couch, pulling me into a warm hug. He smelled of pine and I tried to focus on his scent to calm down. He stroked my hair and spoke softly.
"It's okay Sam, I'm here."
I rested my head on his chest, his shirt becoming damp from my tears.
"I was kidnapped by the people I was living with." I sounded nasally. Alex perked up. "I had just found out and they - my parents, tried to lock me in my room, but I escaped. I didn't have anywhere else to go. I don't have any friends. No family. So I went to the party." I told him.
"I'm so sorry Sam,"
"It's not your fault." sniffling, I straightened. "I want to find my real parents, but I have no clue where to look." I sighed, letting my head fall backwards. I stared at the white, popcorn ceiling. I felt warmth on my hand and looked to see Alex's hand placed on top of mine.
"We will find your parents Sam. I can help you." I nodded thankfully. His green eyes gazed into mine and I felt lost. He was my escape from this cruel world. He stood, taking my hand and leading me to his room.
"Here, you can have my bed. Get some sleep and we'll start our search tomorrow." He switched the light off. I didn't want him to leave.
"Alex?"
"Yeah?" He stopped, muscles tensing.
"Can you...can you stay with me?" My nerves tingled as the question came out. His body relaxed and he made his way to the bed.
"Sure."
He laid still beside me. My eyelids became heavy, fatigue setting in. I felt secure with Alex. His heart was so pure. He took me in when everything came crumbling down.
He gave me hope.