Lock down

The door knob turned just as I leaped into bed, flinging the covers over me. I tried to calm my breaths down, pretending to be asleep. My back was facing Alex. I listened to him quietly sit on the edge of the other bed. He turned the white envelope in his hands, thinking deeply.
Should I ask him who those men were? What's in the envelope?
My mind swirled endlessly, attempting to decide what to do next. Most importantly; could I still trust Alex? I rolled over, groaning and rubbing my eyes as if I had woke from a life times sleep.
"Morning sleeping beauty" Alex mocked, a grin sliding across his face. "Thought you'd never wake up."
"If only...any nightmare would be better then this reality." I pushed off the covers and swung my legs off the bed. Alex still held the envelope in his hands. I stood, not knowing where to go or what to say. Alex stood too, removing his cigarette pack and lighter from his pocket and replacing it what the envelope. I paced, struggling to find a place to look.
God, I'm so awkward. Why couldn't he just tell me exactly what was going? Oh right, cuz that would make things too easy on me.
He laid down on the dusty, old motel bed.
"My turn to sleep."

      My gut told me Alex was hiding something, but I couldn't just reach into his pocket and retrieve the damn envelope now could I? There was no avoiding asking him about it. I was pissed. He was the only person to help me, he stuck by me, listened to me. He was perfect; until now.
It hit me like a ton of bricks. I literally knew nothing about him. His sisters name, who his parents are, why he's helping me in the first place, and he still hadn't explained what happened when I blacked out in the fire. The realization was deafening.
I couldn't trust Alex.

I was officially on lock down. No more fluff and opening up to this stranger. I was thrown into the real world and I had to make my way to the finish line. I looked down at my dress that I was going to wear to the party. I hadn't had time to change and this was all I had. These clothes had to go. My hair was long and tangled. The black strands crunchy from the motel shampoo conditioner mix. If I wanted to hide my real self from Alex and disguise myself from Mary and David, I needed an upgrade. Picking up Alex's keys, cigarette pack and lighter, I jogged down the stairs to his car. I was rebelling for the first time in my life, and it felt damn good. The engine reved and I sped off down the street.

After a few minutes of driving, or what you could call 'learning to drive', I found a thrift store near the motel. Its walls were wood and rotting rapidly. The sign a washed out red with a letter missing. A bell rang when I stepped through the door. Inside an employee with green hair greeted me with a monotone 'hi there'. In a hurry to get back before Alex woke, I grabbed a pair of scissors, a black leather jacket, the cheapest t-shirt I could find, and some black ripped jeans. The stores dull lights flickered. I rushed to the till and dropped the stuff in front of the teen with green hair. Music played softly as I waited. While he was ringing through the clothes, my eyes caught on a pair of sunglasses. They were black, oval and definitely not my style.
They were perfect.
This was a new me right? I threw them onto the table with my other items.
"These too" I smiled. Then I handed him my stolen money. Who knew a little taxi cash would become so useful?