Chapter Fifteen: Arriving in Verta City

As Yūro and Himara slowly arrived in Verta City, the celestial light from the sun was already beginning to get consumed by the horizon. However it was blocked by arrays of ominous, pepper black and gray clouds looming over the land, engulfing it in a dim glow. An ice cold wind swept through the trees, creating constant rustling. The wind slashed at Himara's legs and scratched her face with its sheer cold fingers; a storm was coming.

   "Brr... I'm c-cold..," Himara complained while rubbing her arms to keep warm.

   "I know... We're alm-most there..." They fought desperately against the relentless wind as they slowly reached Verta City.

    The city was surrounded by a large stone wall and had rows and rows of mahogany brick, two-story houses and had a huge snow white building in the center of the furthest wall. The wall had an open gap in the front; the entrance. If they have an entrance that has no security, why would the have a ginormous wall surrounding the city? Himara mused wonderingly.

   They passed through the towering stone wall and entered the city. Both of them let out a huge sigh of relief. Because of the walls, they were shielded from the wind.

   "Okay, so I guess we have to find the... town hall?" Himara asked, seizing her constant arm rubbing.

   "Yeah... Woah, this place is all houses... I guess we just look for a different shaped and colored building," Yūro suggested while craning his neck to search for something other than houses.

   "Hmm... It's probably in the center of town, or somewhere in the center aisle. Let's go!" Himara pointed out with her left hand enthusiastically.

   They began to hurriedly rush through the center row, searching to and fro for the town hall. Huffing and puffing, they were gaining closer to the back wall. They were losing hope, yes, but a glowing smile spread across Himara's face when her eyes saw the rectangular, snow white building coming up ahead.

   "There... It is..," she huffed, feeling faint. "This is a freaking large town... Phew!"

   "I know... Let's go in..." Yūro gestured with his right hand towards the white mansion.

   They entered through the giant oak doors with a loud CREEEK and looked inside. Sandy colored, marble tiles adorned the floor in a shiny fashion and cream white wallpaper covered the walls. Mud brown, wooden desks were scattered around, making it seem like an office. There was a long desk in the front with a sign that read, "INFORMATION". A woman in her twenties sat behind the desk and looked up at Himara and Yūro with her sapphire blue eyes curiously.

   "Good day, anything you need?" she squeaked, seeming to be a tad bit afraid of them.

   "Hello, sorry to bother you, but may we see Miss Saikuron?" Himara asked politely.

   The woman's eyes widened in utter shock and squeaked full of terror, "I-I'm sorry b-but the Young Miss is b-busy..."

   "Please! It's really important!" she pleaded.

   "I g-guess I will asked Mayor Zephyr... But I can't promise anything..." The woman hastily got up from her desk and half-walked, half-ran to a door on the back left side.

   The woman emerged from the door a couple of minutes later with a stocky, cloud grey haired man trailing behind her. The man had a cheesy, handlebar mustache and curly hair that reached just above the nape of his neck. His skin was sun drenched and wrinkly, showing that he clearly did not take care of his skin. Approaching Himara and Yūro, he looked them up and down suspiciously, like they were criminals and he was a policeman.

   "These are the ones, Sir," the woman addressed Zephyr.

   The Mayor crossed his arms fervently. "Hrmm, and why must you two see my daughter?" His eyes showed that he was very protective of Kazera.

   "Well... We think she may be one of the people that will destroy the darkness." Himara was getting a bit anxious, for the man's peridot green eyes were locked with Himara's.

   "No way my daughter is gonna go get killed by the darkness! Nope! And how do I know you aren't lying just to kill her yourself?" He was getting infuriated.

   "Please... How can we show you that you can trust us?" Himara was getting discouraged and her palms were beginning to sweat.

   "The only way..." He scratched his chin with his left hand. "...is if you beat me in a battle! If you can use magic, and can defeat me, you can see my daughter. Just prove that you can protect her and that you aren't one of the darkness. But obviously, I'll win and you'll go crawling back to where you came from." The man was getting quite cocky now.

   "Sure! We'll beat you and then Kazera can help us! When do you wanna battle?" Himara was a little afraid of Mayor Zephyr, but she knew if she can beat that dragon, she can beat a human.

   "How 'bout... Now. Ountside on the field. I will see you there in a couple minustes... And I wouldn't get your hopes up..," he hissed arrogantly.

   "Today?! I can't do today... Can we do it tomorrow?" Himara just realized that it was almost night.

   "Delaying your defeat, huh? Fine. Tomorrow at dusk." He turned and headed back to the room on the far wall with the woman following him.

   "Why can't we do it now?" Yūro asked Himara, gesturing with his left hand.

   "I have to go now. It's almost nighttime. Ugh, I have to go back to that hill," she groaned angrily.

   "I guess I'll find somewhere to stay here. There must be an inn or something..."

   They strolled outside through the huge oak doors and back into the maze of houses. Himara was extremely astonished to find a glowing ball of light hovering a few meters away from the Town Hall.

   "Yes! I guess I don't have to go back. See you!" Himara waved at Yūro and headed closer to the ball of light.

   "Bye! See you tomorrow!" He waved back happily, with a shimmering smile.

   Himara placed her right hand on the glowing white ball and was engulfed in a heavenly light. Malevolent blackness obscured her vision as she was being sent back to her home. Closing her eyes as usual, there was no force pushing her this time. Good... It must have gone away since I'm a regular passenger. she mused.

   Opening her eyes excitedly, hoping to be home, all she saw was total, pitch dark blackness. Puzzled, she wiped her eyes, anxiety beginning to rise and make her tremble. Lifting them open again, there was still no light at all; just never-ending darkness. "Celestia! Are you there?!" she called with a shaky voice.

   There was no response. "Celestia!! Someone!" She was getting full of panic and anxiety.

   An ominous voice bellowed with laughter and spoke to Himara. "You think you can annihilate the darkness?! Haha... You have it wrong," the voice hissed. It was a female voice, elegant like a fairy yet rough like sandpaper. "Haha! You and your little friend and all the other ones that will join your petty team won't live to see Earth's peace restored... Hahaha!!!" The voice screamed with overwhelming laughter and trailed of.

   Light shone brightly on Himara's eyes and she covered them with her left arm. The light dimmed, and Himara removed her arm from her face. She smiled with great relief when she found herself back in her room.

   A shiver ran up and down her spine like an elevator. "That was creepy..," she muttered nervously to herself. "I wonder who-or what that was..." Himara observed her left hand and realized she was trembling like an animal running from its predator.

   All of a sudden, Himara began to feel like she was being watched...