Chapter Eleven: Looking for Some Answers

Thrusting the door open, Himara bolted inside her math class. Entering, everyone stared at her. She has never been late, so all the students had their eyes wide open. Himara carefully shut the door behind her and just as she feared, Mrs. Rutt the math teacher spoke in a very unhappy tone.

   "What a surprise, you are always on time. Why have you suddenly come so late, Himara Shawā?" Mrs. Rutt was frowning and crossed her arms.

   "Umm..." Himara didn't know what to say. She didn't want to lie, but she knew she had to. "I-"

   "It doesn't matter. What matters is that we are very disappointed in you, so just sit down and focus." Mrs. Rutt shook her head and pointed at Himara's desk.

   Trudging over to her desk, Himara could hear faint snickering and giggling. She ignored it and tried with all her might to concentrate on math.

   After math class, it was time for the afternoon break. Himara strolled to her locker and shoved in her math books. She was still frustrated that she was late for class. Now my perfect attendance is ruined... She thought sadly in her mind. And I couldn't even pay attention at all during it. I almost fell asleep, I'm so tired from last night...

   Just then, Airia walked over to her locker that's beside Himara's. "Oh my gosh, is it true what everyone's saying?! Were you really late for math class?" she asked while cramming in her history books in her locker.

   Himara sighed. "Yeah...it's true. I was late today..."

   "I can't believe it! Miss Perfect actually made a mistake! That means you can't get the perfect attendance award, right?" Himara could see the increasing amount of joy in Airia. She was happy Himara was late.

   The bell screamed its usual chant that meant the break was over. Himara quickly took out her supplies for science, and headed off while saying "Bye!" to Airia.

   Airia had a smile of utter ecstasy on her smug, olive skin face.

                                                                                --

   Infuriated with Airia and her reactions to Himara being tardy, she didn't bother to walk with her home. "That does it! Our friendship is finished," Himara grumbled to herself while storming home.

   The sparkling sun beat down on Himara's blood red hair. The humidity still hasn't finished its relentless assault on the city, and there was still no end in sight.

   Himara sighed deeply when she gingerly unlocked her door to the house. Turning the brass knob, she remembered that when she gets transported to the alternate realm Altemia, she will try to ask Celestia some questions and if she sees Kuchi again, she'll ask him too.

   Himara stepped inside and greeted her aunt and uncle that we're standing by the door, waiting for her to go in. "Hiya, Auntie and Unc!"

   "Hello Himara! How was your day?" her aunt asked, her eyes staring at Himara through her sea-foam green glasses.

   "Fine, until a monster appeared and I had to fight it... Luckily, no one saw but I ended up being late for math..." Himara sighed sadly and looked down. "My perfect attendance is ruined but...if missing class means saving the world, I'll make the sacrifice!!" she cheered herself up. "Now, it's time for me to find some answers!" Himara darted up the carpeted beige stairs and up to her room.

   Walking slowly into her room, Himara tossed her fiery red backpack onto her bed. Approaching the white ball of light, she prepared several questions in her head for Celestia. She carefully reached out with her right hand and touched it with her index finger. The familiar, celestial white light exploded out of the orb.