O P U L Ë N C E

4. T H E E M P R E S S

Within a circular pool carved from gold, a figure swam beneath thick ruby liquid

Within a circular pool carved from gold, a figure swam beneath thick ruby liquid. A halo of silver hair floated to the surface, just as the body raised a languid hand. Black nails, sparkled beneath drops of red residue. The snap of fingers echoed throughout the room.

A trio of identical men strode into the washroom. Their eyes had been gouged out, nothing more then empty black sockets remained. Barbed wire patched their lips shut in a zig zag design. Fine cloth of emerald, clung to their chiseled physique of pale flesh. Finally, a pendant swung from their necks, the insignia of the Kingdom; a sword with a curling serpent.

Each servant held a fine pillow, upon it rested different items. An exquisite bath robe, metallic slippers, and a polished black crown. Although sightless, they were able to navigate their way. They stood at the edge of the pool, waiting for their master to emerge.

Crimson liquid rippled as a body stood to its full form. The Empress emerged and slicked back her hair. She towered at six feet, maybe more. Her feline eyes were green, and her lips upturned with satisfaction. The Empress walked with a gait that was lethal. She exited the pool, leaving a puddle on the floor.

The first servant set the crown on her head, as the second knelt so the woman could step in her shoes. She stretched both arms out as the last man draped the silk robe around her.

The Empress tied the robe's knot together, as she glanced back. In the large pool were two lifeless men, blankly staring at the high ceilings. Chunks of their throats had been viciously flayed open, showing arteries and veins of purple.

"Dispose of the bodies." Her voice was regal, and deadly. "And do tell Chef, that I'd like my next breakfast to be a little more sweeter. I don't care for bitter men." The Empress walked out of her private bathroom to her equally grand bedroom. Every inch dripped of dark decadence and wealth.

The balcony was open, just as she had ordered. Curtains of white danced in the summer breeze that softly careened over her. The woman stood at the rails, her hands rested upon dark iron. She was at a daunting height, one that sent others into a nauseated dizziness.

"Omnipotence, clearly isn't for everyone." The Empress mused to herself, as she watched day break onto the streets of Paris.

What had been previously been known as The Eiffel Tower, now served to no one but her, a fortress, her kingdom, her castle. She had altered the tip of the tower, transformed it completely to a penthouse suite. From this vantage point she could watch over all of Paris.

The Empress closed her eyes and basked in the warming sun, enjoying the early morning. A delightful hum left her lips.

"There is something," she murmured to herself. "Something, that I cannot put my finger on. Something in the air. I wonder." Her green eyes opened to the spectacular view of her city. Her insignia bore on dark flags which hung on every building. Citizens went about their day, her army patrolled the streets. Everything seemed to be in order, but she knew it was far from so.

There was a Rebellion in the works. Beings that did not agree with her, or those that most likely wanted to take from her. Humans, that had not been infected with the Red Plague had run and hidden away. Now, like cockroaches they were multiplying, which wasn't the horrid part. The horrid part was that they wanted to take down her kingdom, and kill her.
The rebellion grew stronger in number every day, and she had yet to find of their hideaway. Rumors had begun to spread that even vampires were joining the resisitance.

"Mutiny, how could one be so ungrateful to all I have given these mongrels." A laugh escaped her lips, "Petty humans, let them build their army. If they wish to spill blood then so be it. I have a thirst for War that remains unquenched."

Turning from the balcony she made her way back into the room, her servants had cleaned as she had instructed. They stood like silent decor by the door, waiting for another command. The woman sat on a lounge chair and crossed her legs.

"Marvellous. Now, bring me options for today's wardrobe. My muse is the Reaper."

The trio ambled to her walk in closet, which in actuality was another room. A few moments later, they returned with what she had asked, her clothes consisted of black and leather. Despite the options being nearly identical she took her time, inspecting each outfit until she settled on one, which consisted of fitted leather trousers and a black breastplate.

Once she dressed the servants dutifully adorned her arms with gauntlets. A large neck piece made of vampire fangs was clasped around her throat. Buckled boots that reached her thighs were strapped to her feet. Her favorite moment came next, a silky floor-length cape with horned shoulders was placed on her.

The Empress sat at her vanity and, examined every inch of herself in the mirror. "It should be a crime to be so opulent, so perfect."

She pulled on one of the marble drawers, revealing a brooch. "Time has not faded your beauty," she crooned. It had been over a decade since she had been gifted it. The green serpent coiled around the silver sword. A symbol that she had manifested into not only her signature but her empire.

A knock at her door sounded then, she shut the drawer with the brooch inside of it.

"My Empress, your presence is requested." The confident voice could be no other's but Lelia's. The girl had been vying for attention in hopes of securing a high rank in Court, the top tier of those that The Empress surrounded herself with. The top tier of those that The Empress did not trust. She had no friends, only enemies that she kept closer then lovers.

"Might I inquire as to why?" The Empress questioned. Lelia made no move to open the closed doors, she knew better.

"The Knights have returned," Lelia spoke and waited.

The Empress uncapped a liquid polish to reapply black onto her nails. "This is of interest to me because?"

"My Empress, they come with a herd of humans."

The woman blew on her wet nail once, twice. "So, send them to the Blood Bank, leave one for me, preferably the thickest one. Lelia, you know not to come to me with such miniscule matters."

"Your grace, they come with humans that are in the rebellion. There is also a vampire, who possesses significantly powerful magic."

The Empress stopped midpoint of her polish, her spine went tense.

"Ah, now that is intriguing. And where might I find our guests?"

"They await in the dungeons."

"I must not keep them waiting then, they must be exhausted from their travels."

"Very well then, my Empress, I will inform them of your arrival." Lelia walked back the way she had come.

The Empress gazed into the mirror with narrowed eyes. Something stirred within her hallow chest.

"Indeed, there is something in the air, I sense change." Her hands clenched into fists, as she stared at her own reflection. "What to do, what to do."