K I Ł Ł

25. T H E E M P R E S S

      The blade ran down the whetstone

The Empress, watched from her throne, as three of her Knights each held a sword. They had been sharpening the blades since dawn, and sweat trickled down their backs. They did not dare stop, they kept sharpening the steel.

She thought of Octavius and his body which hung from the dungeons, in chains. After her discovery from the magic mirror she had ordered the Knights to arrest him on grounds of treason. And yet, it didn't even begin to quell the monster inside her.

"Alternate!" She shouted at them savagely.

The Knights placed the sharpened swords onto a table. Then strode to the casing that held the dull ones. Without a protest they each withdrew another sword then returned to the whetstone and began sharpening the blade.

The Knights knew today would be tiresome to them, whenever The Empress was in a foul mood her orders became outrageous.

"What is all this?" Elias asked, he peeked into the throne room.

Fire mantles lined the stony walls. They had been bewitched to replicate the insignia of the Kingdom. In black fire the sword and serpent blazed with red eyes. A red carpet led to marble steps that sloped into a circular podium. Around the podium roamed a horned viper, its body so long, it draped over the length of the stairs. The viper's head rose as a newcomer waltzed into the room. His forked tongue flickered out, when he sensed no danger he turned away.

Elias looked at The Empress who seemed lost in her thoughts. She looked like a villain from a fairytale. Clothed in a black dress made of lace, her hair had been braided in small pieces, as a horned headpiece crowned her head.

"What are you doing?" Elias asked a Knight, who ignored him. Elias pursed his lips before looking at The Empress who finally noticed him.

A look of annoyance passed over her face, "why are you here?" Her voice was hoarse.

"Why do you sound like that? And what's all this?" He pointed at the Knights. "You know everyone in the tower can hear it."

"Good, then they know one of them is to die!" The Empress called to her viper, "Zazel." He rested his head over the arm of her throne. "Saves me the trouble of telling them."

Elias watched as she stroked the scales of the crimson viper. She looked scary, sitting on a velvet black throne, that was outlined with human bones and vampire fangs.

There was a chandelier above The Empress that was turned off, and rumour had it that behind the chandelier was where she hid the souls she collected.

"That's stupid," Elias disagreed, he placed a hand on his hip.

The Empress frowned at his voice, "what are you doing here? Has Chef run out of your oil free foodies?"