C L Ä N

24. M I R A

      The train lurches to a stop, and I have to sink my nails into the leather chair as to not fall forward

Vye and Josie, are the first to their feet, not jostled by the gravity of the train. Comrade's behind them. I'm still seated, waiting for the doors to slide open. Kieran too, is seated although he is shuffling papers inside a journal.

I guess age is not a factor when it comes to wisdom. Kieran is twenty one, the third oldest with Veena and Josie taking the lead.

Kieran has not said much to me on the train ride. He simply took fabric from his own covering and tore it in half, giving one piece to me.

A gesture that put a smile on Vye's lips. According to her this is a gesture of acceptance, I am one of them now. Kieran has accepted me into the clan without asking me to prove myself. He looked at me once and was able to see me for what I am, a lost girl, uncertain of everything.

The doors to the train open and a gust of wind blows in.

"Mira," Kieran's voice cuts through my thoughts. The others have already made it out. My clan leader stands and walks to me.

Kieran has eyes that are like stone, soft only in glimpses. He has a kind voice although I'm sure he can channel wrath into it as well. You don't become a leader by being nice. He took the power, didn't wait for it to be handed to him. And most often times it isn't given to those who are solely nice.

I stand as he approaches me. "You will be under this clan's protection for the remainder of your life. The only thing to overturn this protection is treachery. We do not betray one another, we lay our lives on the line for each other."

I feel like there's more to it then just that, protecting the family they've built by what's left of humanity.

"I understand, Kieran." I answer, "I have no reason to betray that trust." My words are true.

Kieran nods and then gestures for me to follow him through the train. He leads the way cloaked in his dark robes.

As I step out of the train, cold wind blows over my face. "Wow," I say.

"Mind blowing isn't it." Kieran says as he admires the scene. "Welcome to Losian."

We're inside a tremendously large cavern, fit for the city it houses. Chrome buildings have been made within the dirt of the earth. Rising high enough that they almost touch the top of the cave, which has a holographic grid embedded into it. The grid reflects a virtual sunset, complete with puffy clouds of pink. Small homes and businesses have been crafted from simple material, painted in pastel. In hopes of bringing comfort to the place. The dirt streets are not paved, but they are lined with lamps that give off a light of neon gold. It seems this city blends the old with the futuristic new. The citizens glide about their day on a sheet of metal that hovers in the air. The daring ones fly up so high they look like birds.