S H A D Ë S

29. T H E  E M P R E S S

      Leila's face contorted with pain as she felt the memory leave her lips

      The orb of red floated from her mouth and was inhaled by The Empress. Once ingested she kicked the woman with the heel of her boot.

      An Undead soldier hauled Leila up before she too was cuffed next to Octavius and Horace.

      "See how nice I am Octavius?" She asked with a laugh, "I brought your friends for you, don't say I never gave you anything."

      "This is not fair," Horace belted out, his feet barely touched the ground. As his upper body was lifted up by the chains. "I wasn't even in charge!"

      The Empress scoffed before shaking her head, "of all the people you could have chosen, you go with shark teeth and spikey? I hope it was worth it, I hope you'll enjoy your stay in my Red Room."

      The Empress looked around her torture chamber that was an oval room with enough space to inflict pain on someone with a tool. There were no windows and there was no freedom.

      Her body dissolved into the air and the smoke traveled to her private office.

      The woman was all business as she strode to her desk. Two of the three shades were present.

      "Where's the girl?" She asked and then blew a puff of smoke at them that revealed their true nature. She looked in between the boys.

      Azrail answered with a raised brow, "she said she was in the middle of an imperative break in some plan."

      The Empress mulled his words over before she turned to the other.

      "I have a bone to pick with you, you told me the Bank was going to be attacked last Friday and it wasn't."

      Comrade tilted his face, "are you sure about that?"

      The Empress narrowed her eyes at him. "Get to the point."

      "The Rebel leader spoke of some coding hack in the last meeting." Comrade's voice was timeless as he recited what he had learned. "Something about hacking Carmichael's files."

      The Empress kept her face neutral as she listened to him.

      "And you didn't know this before? You learned this when?"

      Comrade didn't falter, "I learned it last night, my clan leader had the files sent to him. Read it myself in black and white."

      "Very well then, you two have done good so far. Keep up the work." She dismissed them with a flick of her wrist. And their bodies dissolved back into Shades, before they were carted out by an unseen force outside of the Eiffel. Before being whisked off to their respective locations.

Azrail's body was sent to the Exposition center and Comrade's body materialised beside the Church of Notre Dame.