V I Ä L S

19. T H E E M P R E S S

       The platinum sports car raced though the streets, neon lights of the city reflected onto it's windshield

       Two flags bore on the side of the vehicle, the  unforgettable image of serpent coiling around sword. The crimson flags flapped wildly in the wind, as the driver accelerated the speed.

      Traffic parted for The Empress' royal chariot, as she zoomed down the highway. The car purred like a dragon, as it blew a jet of icy blue fire from the exhaust pipe.

      The Empress lounged in the back of the car. She wore large black glasses that concealed half of her face. She wore a diamond encrusted beret, and a modern suit with shoulder pads. Her hands rested on the skull head of a cane.

      The driver of the car took Exit 66 to drive into the gated community of the science district. Knights were stationed at the exit and allowed the familiar car to pass through with ease.

      The speed of the car decreased gradually, as the driver navigated the empty streets of the science district. Finally, it rolled to a complete stop in front of a high rise.

      The Blood Bank of Paris, formerly known as Montparnasse Tower, stood lonely in the silent neighbourhood.

      The driver hurried from his seat to open The Empress' door. Of course, the car doors had been programmed to automatically open. However, The Empress liked to know chivalry wasn't dead, so the drivers were told to step out and escort her out.

      The driver pulled on the handle and the platinum door drifted towards the bumper of the car. He held his hand out for The Empress to take, which she did, in an iron grip.

      As she stood to her height and looked at the Blood Bank, the driver daringly spoke.

      "I hope your enjoyed your travel, my Empress." He bowed as best as he could while she stepped onto the pavement.

       She lowered her glasses to the bridge of her nose, inspecting him. "I could have crawled faster." With that she turned on her heel and made her way inside the building.

      The Empress' reflection appeared in the one way glass of the black building. The door was nonexistent, but as she neared the glass, an orb of red light scanned her face. The Empress opened her mouth, and the light flickered over her fangs. Upon recognising her the orb faded and an opening spiralled in glass. The woman walked forward clicking her cane as she went. The opening shut behind her with a hiss.

      The inside of the building was a glowing ivy green, a fountain of water was in the centre of the large lobby. There were twelve elevators in total, lining the right and left side of the room, six on each side.

     By the fountain waited three scientists dressed in white lab coats. The middle aged men carried clipboards and bowed to her.

      "Good evening, your majesty." The lab director welcomed. He was a polished man, dressed in a mint green overcoat, with tailored black slacks, and hand stitched leather loafers.