B L Ø O D M Ø O N

8. T H E  E M P R E S S

      Night had fallen over Paris, just as a thunderstorm subsided

Night had fallen over Paris, just as a thunderstorm subsided. A slick of water covered the blacktop streets, which were empty. A chilly breeze wove around the dewy homes, giving flight to drops of water. Grey clouds parted, to reveal the full moon which hung low, it's silver light swept over the land.

The Empress watched from her penthouse balcony, as her citizens were ushered to the colosseum just below the Eiffel Tower. In an orderly fashion the vampires were told to take their seats around the arena.

The colosseum had been constructed of alloy, and in a manner that put the audience below the battlefield. The Empress would stand at an elevated height, on a large circular slab of cement that was forever stained. There were three main rings around the colosseum, with square metal jutting from the floor, serving as hard uncompromising seats.

      The Empress assessed those that she employed, a hard gleam in her feline eyes.

The Undead Army, was commanded by Octavius, who kept close watch of the vampire citizens. The Army encircled the inner ridge of the colosseum, two feet away from the elevated podium, where she was soon to make her appearance. The Empress didn't need the protection, but Octavius has been adamant that a precaution was always needed. He was large for a vampire, roped with a thick mass of muscle, and one of his eyes had rotted from a battle wound, which he wore like a trophy.

      Then, there was her Court, who stood in a private booth among the common vampires. They wore thick hooded robes of purple, and masks made from gold. Her Court insisted never to reveal their identities to the rest of the world. Her lips sneered with distaste. There were nine members, all equal in build and height. A unified front they stood, waiting for what was to come.

      The Empress wrenched her gaze from the group and searched the crowds for her Chief Advisor.

He was making rounds by the outer rim of the colosseum. He had instructed the Knights to stand at every entrance of the arena, they held large swords and stood ready for anything.

      Absentmindedly, she ran her gloved fingers over the sleeve of her armour.
      The Empress had removed her crown for a white headpiece. From the sides of the scaled covering, jutted two devilish horns. Her silver hair had been tucked away into the confinement. She was dressed in a suit of white metal that had silver spikes coming out of the shoulders, and arms.

One last time her green eyes roamed over her Court, and the men commanding her armies.

      Finally, she observed her vampire citizens, they were malnourished, and could barely walk straight. Her law regulated that the average vampire could only consume one weekly vial of blood, from the Blood Bank. This was not even close to what was required of vampires to drink. But, this ensured they remain weak. With more vampires joining the Rebellion, she didn't seem to care if they were fed at all. But tonight, would be an exception.