August 19 - 20, Meeting

August 19

Scot was gone most of the day making sure that his clinic was still running smoothly. Lining up the supplies so that we would be fully stocked and funded when we made our return trip. I spent the day at the house. Familiarizing myself with the place. I learned something about Scot as well. He has some beautiful paintings that he has done. They are all hiding up in a back room but he has a lot of talent there. When he came home, we had a wonderful dinner, pasta, with cheesecake for dessert. Then we sat and watched the stars shining in the sky before we fell asleep.

August 20

Today was the beginning of the end. We were inside the adorable diner on Main street. It was dinner and Scott was behaving oddly, he seemed nervous. We talked and laughed over dinner and it was an amazing evening. The waiter dropped off roses at our table. Then as the sun was setting and the sky turned beautiful colors Scott pulled a box out of his pocket. My heart jumped into my throat, I've never been so happy in my entire life. Inside sat the most beautiful ring I have ever seen. I heard the door chime go off as someone came into the diner but it didn't even phase me. I couldn't get the words out fast enough, to tell him yes, that he was my world.

Then he closed the box.

I saw it in his eyes.

Something had changed. Something had happened, his eyes had a different light in them. I turned to see what he was looking at, all 5'9" of blonde hair, blue eyed painter staring straight back at him. She turned and bolted out of the door, Scott stumbled to his feet, made his apologies and ran after her. Tears felt hot and heavy on my face. I stood, paid for the bill, and walked out with the faces of pity staring after me. Maybe I still had a chance, maybe he wouldn't leave me for her after all? What did she know about him? Nothing! She hadn't trailed him all over Africa! She hadn't saved his life, she wasn't the one who took a spear in the side for him. She had done nothing!

Still, I could feel the chill creeping inside my bones. I was merely an arrow, even if I had tried to fight it, to ignore it, how could I fight cupid? I went to the house that night. Scott's house, the one he said could be ours. I trailed my fingers up the mahogany banister, I watched the living room where just hours before I had envisioned our children playing, and sat on the bed waiting.