Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

With a flick of his wrist, Omega fans the Glock 26 9mm around the room, blowing the various bottles to pieces.

Still in shock over the power of such a weapon, he looks at the gun with wide eyes as he gently sets it down. He sits for a moment, before he shakes his head.

"No."

"No?" Artemis crosses the room swiftly, before stopping. "Why not?"

"That thing gives the impression of power."

"So? That's the point" Artemis scowls.

Omega swallows as he eyes it, "Power is an illusion created by man to hold sway over others. If power is an illusion, it can just as easily beguile the powerful just as much as the powerless. In other words," and he takes a step towards her as he says this last part, "I will not allow myself to be dependent upon the power of this object."

Artemis snorts, "That sounds like a quote from one of my text books."

Omega draws his sword, "Trust me, I would much rather use these over a gun."

Artemis just shrugs, and seems to sag, "At least carry them, you never know when you might need the precision."

Omega looks down at the gun, and picks it up, "Yeah, but I'm just as precise with a bow. I may not be quite as good as Kaila, but I can hold my own."

Artemis lifts her brows, "I've seen you shoot, and you are actually really good. How is she better?"

Omega holsters the gun, and starts walking as he explains, "I consider my sword to be an extension of myself. When I cut through flesh, I can actually feel the friction of the blade, and correct any angle I need, even when in mid air. Kaila uses the bow in similar fashion. Trust me, if she wanted to, she could train you in how to use a bow."

Inside, Artemis feels a shiver run through her. She knew from glimpses of the duo's skills, how as a pair, they worked so well. The fact that Omega is good with a sword, while Kaila was paired with the bow unsettles her. If they decided to eliminate the team, they could. Easily. But as she looks into Omega's, all she sees is a dark, quiet, cold determination to survive. The Wolf.

Finally, realizing she's staring, she glances away.

Omega smiles, "Sorry if I sound arrogant, but I've seen all of you fight. The only one I am even mildly impressed by is Batman."

"Omega!"

He whips around, in time to see Robin walking around the corner.

"What is it?"

Robin stops, and smiles, "She's awake! Kaila's awake!"

Omega grunts indifferently, but inside felt a weight lift off.

As he runs through the cave, he can't help a small smile from playing on his lips.

As he gets closer, he begins to hear her voice, and shivers.

"Kaila?"

Kaila glances toward him, and instantly, Omega knows something is off. Instead of her usual playful look of mischief, she glances down at the floor in shame, and covers her face.

"No! Go away!"

She squirms in the bed, and pulls the blanket around her form.

Omega feels confusion wash over him, and slows to a walk.

"What is it?"

"J-just go away!" a quiver in her voice.

Omega looks to M'gann. "What did you do to her?"

M'gann shakes her head,"Nothing."

Omega slowly approaches Kaila's hidden form, and reaches a hand out. "Kaila."

"Please?"

He feels a trimmer from within, a quaking a anger begin to over take him as he hears the sobbing plea.

"I'm not going anywhere."

As Omega looks to the others behind him, he waves them back, and sits on the edge of the bed.

Hesitantly, he places his hand on what he assumes is her shoulder.

A shriek sounds, and she tries to push him. In a desperate maneuver, Omega seizes her hand, and pulls. Even though Omega is a mere 137 pounds, Kaila is even lighter with 120 pounds, so when Omega pulls, he jerks her from the bed into his own body. In a flash, he wraps his arms around her securely, and seems to cradle her. Putting his left hand on the back of her head, he holds her with everything within him. She fights, and tries to push away, but Omega sees past it to her desperate need for assurance.

"Let me go!" She cries, but he simply holds on, and finally, she relents. With a soft gasp, she buries her head into his shoulder, and begins to shake.

"It's okay." He whispers.

They stay like that for what Omega wishes would stretch on forever. Omega begins to relax his grip, and as Kaila pulls away, she continues to look to the floor.

Omega looks upon her, and sees her messed up rats nest of hair. She wears no makeup, so no streaks mark her cheek, except the pure sheen of tears.

Forcing himself to be confident, he puts his hand underneath her chin, and lifts her face. She tries to turn away, covering her ruined face, but Omega stops her, "It only adds to your beauty."

Finally, she looks into his eyes in confusion. "Really?"

"Really. You should never be ashamed of who you are. Especially with me. We're partners. Remember?"

For a long second, she stares, and Omega begins to see the shadow of a small smile.

"I'm sorry. I-I should ha-"

Omega's face darkens, as he quiets her. He's not angry with her, but with himself. "No. You have nothing to be sorry for. I should have been there, I shouldn't have ever let you go."

He quietly wipes her tears away, and as she relaxes further, he smiles deep within himself. He looks around, and sees the others looking on curiously. "So what are we going to do about Ares?"

Kaila starts at the name, and glances around, "That was Ares?" As if she knew the name.

Omega notices. "Yeah. Why? Know him?"

Kaila starts to nod, but suddenly, she stops, "I...don't know. Maybe? I feel like I do."

Suddenly, Batman steps forward. "Tell me. What's the last thing you remember?"

Kaila looks around at those gathered,"Not much. We were sitting on a rooftop when we heard an explosion. We went to check it out, and then..."

She shudders, "Fire."

Batman nods thoughtfully. "And you M'gann?"

She shrugs, "The same."

Batman looks between the two. "Report to Jon Jones. I want him to scan your memories. I have a suspicion."

Kaila's eyes widen, and she glances at Omega with panic showing in her eyes. "Why?"

Batman speaks with understanding in his voice, "To see if Ares did more than just burn you."

As Kaila breathes out with relief, she smiles, "Sure."

———-

I'm sorry for how short this chapter is, but I think I made up for it with more detail. Tell me what y'all think, and if y'all really like it, hit the little star in the corner lol thanks!