Chapter Three

Special thanks to @nanonabha and @Cassandra_Mckay for voting on this book! Your feedback means a lot to me!

Chapter Three

"Untie him," the guard commands the other two Assassins. They cut him from the ropes, and then drag him down the corridors. One on each side, the Assassins carelessly pull him along until they reach the boy's room. As they do, the boy looks up and sees Alfaan waiting for them. Even in his damaged state, the boy can tell that the girl seems to breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Put him on the bed."

As they do, she reaches over and rolls him over to see his back.

The boy, even punch drunk, thanks whatever God above that the guards had thought to put his clothes back on. The only article of clothing missing was his shirt.

As the girl sees the boy's back, she flinches slightly at the sight of so much blood.

She commands the guards, "Get some bandages and alcohol."

The guards immediately retreat, and the girl whispers, "You did well."

"I found it," the boy croaks through the pain.

The girl smirks. "Seems like. What did you find?"

The boy widens his eyes a bit, then looks the girl in the eye. "My will to live."

As these words leave his mouth, his head lolls, and he passes out.

-----

The girl watches the rise, and fall of the boy's chest, wondering what he must be dreaming. She smiles wryly as he twitches. She studies his face for some time. She sees the smoothness of his face and his slight olive complexion. His hair is dark brown, just like her own, and as she noticed earlier, his eyes are a dark amber brown. She can see that his muscles are toned, possibly from years on the street. They are quivering under the wounds left by the whip. She can also guess, because of her training in the League, that he is about ten or eleven years old.

If the boy were awake, he would probably guess the same of her. But because of the harsh life within the League, the girl acts like no other ten-year-old ever would. She has seen many men come to Ra's asking for the opportunity to join his army, only to be cut down because Ra's did not find them to be worthy.

She realizes, as she watches him, why Ra's would put her in charge of the boy's training. As she thinks of this, her smile disappears from her face.

"Be careful," she whispers. "Your role here is not what it seems."

As she looks at the boy's wounds, she knows this is only the beginning for him. What Ra's has in store for him will test him beyond what anyone would imagine.

-----

The boy awakens. He notices he is lying on his stomach and is thankful that whoever had put him here had the insight to do so.

As he attempts to roll over onto his back, he groans from the pain and immediately fingers his back. He feels something that makes him flinch at first. Bandages. He looks down at himself and finds swathes of white cloth wrapped around his stomach and torso. Finally, after much struggle, he lifts himself up into a sitting position just as Alfaan comes into his room. Her eyes widen as she sees him, and she rushes over to lower him back down.

"Not yet. You must not reopen your wounds."

He nods his head. "Thanks."

Her eyes search his for a moment as she sits on the foot of the bed, and then she says, "Ra's has agreed to let you rest for the day. However, tomorrow, your training begins again."