Chapter Ten

"What in God's name were you thinking?" Omega says as he stomps toward the man on the roof.

"What do you mean?"

"You know full well what I mean! You put our lives in unnecessary danger."

"No, I was making sure. I was solidifying your identity." He speaks quietly.

"I don't care about our identities! When I fight, I fight to kill. What if I had killed you?"

"You can't."

"I can't? Trust me, if I wanted to, I could." Slowly, like a wolf stalking its prey, Omega walks right up to the man, and through gritted teeth, he hisses, "One more time. If you ever-"

"Don't you-"

Omega slaps the man hard across the face. "Make idle threats? I'm not threatening you." Omega puts his face so close to the man that all Omega does is whisper the last few words. "I'm promising you. If you ever do something like this again, I will kill you."

The man's jaw ticks. "Well, I won't have to if your little girlfriend passes."

"If she doesn't, you won't be the only one to die." Then, just to drive home his point, Omega adds, "I give you my word, Batman. If Kaila doesn't make it back, there will be no team."

As he walks away, Batman is left standing on the empty roof, as he realizes that Omega is not someone to mess with.

-----

Kaila and M'gann sit side by side on the corner of a rooftop in Gotham. Kaila lets out a sigh as M'gann continues to talk about something.

Kaila is in the worst of moods. With a slight growl, she turns to M'gann and snaps, "Don't you ever shut up?"

M'gann stops and turns to Kaila. "Sorry, it's just that you're the only girl aside from Artemis, and she hardly has time for girl's night out."

"Listen, I like your little group, but Omega and I should really get going. If the Assassins catch up, they will kill you all."

At this, M'gann smiles widely. "What is it with you guys anyway?"

Kaila feels herself start heating up as M'gann brings up the one question she wishes she would avoid.

"What are you talking about?" Kaila asks.

M'gann merely taps the side of her own head. "I'm telepathic, meaning I can read your thoughts."

As Kaila's face darkens in anger, M'gann shakes her head. "I'm sorry, but when you two are near one another, I can't help it. Your thoughts are so strong, it sends out waves that I can't help but feel."

Kaila, sensing an opportunity, asks, "So?"

M'gann, not realizing Kaila's intention, continues. "So? So you two are obviously into one another. The way you treat each other, if I didn't have my powers, I would guess you were married."

Kaila sputters and looks around quickly. She looks up at the sky and feels hope flood her heart. The Gotham skyline should worry her, but as her attention focuses on Omega, she feels M'gann tap her.

"See? If you want, I can tell you what he thinks."

M'gann says this quietly, but Kaila's heart pounds. Does she really want to know? She seriously thinks this over in her mind but feels fear about what he may think. What if he actually thinks of her in negative terms? She reminds herself, however, that M'gann had hinted at the both of them, not just herself, having feelings. The question rattling within her was if she wanted to know exactly what those feelings were.