By Super, I Mean You

Start from the beginning

“You shouldn’t do that too much,” Spencer notes from his own bed, eyes never leaving the book he is reading. Of course Spencer would say that. Brendon sticks his tongue out.

“Ryan could make someone think they’ve lost their minds. Move around their stuff and shit,” Jon counters.

“No, see, I could do that when I’m invisible. Just pick up an object and hold it and they think it’s floating. So I beat Ross. I could totally make people hysterical, dude, send them right off to the psych ward,” Brendon argues with pride.

“Okay, fine, I’ll grant you that,” Jon nods. This is a serious discussion they are having, and Jon obviously estimates the situation again. “But Spencer –”

“Pfft, Smith’s got nothing on me! He doesn’t even use his power, so –”

“And you shouldn’t be using yours either,” Spencer points out.

Brendon wanted to become famous and get chicks and do drugs, but he never realised that it would prevent him from using his powers. It sucks, actually, and he is sick of the mantra that he mustn’t use his power, someone might notice or he might hurt himself. “Act normal!” is their motto, but Brendon thinks normality is so freaking overrated.

Loud knocking interrupts their relaxed hotel night of TV and beers, and Ryan’s voice asks, “Is Brendon in there?!”

Jon looks at Brendon who bites his lip and studies the sheets. Spencer’s head snaps in Brendon’s direction. “Dude, you watched him shower?”

God, Ross is such a freaking tell-tale. “Maybe?” Brendon asks.

Jon and Spencer both heave a sigh, and Brendon blushes a little.

* * *

Brendon is really good at excuses. Technically, he was in the bathroom first. Ryan just burst in, frightening him, and Brendon’s invisibility kicked in as a defence mechanism. And, well, then it was just weird with Ryan already mostly naked, and Brendon thought he would wait it out to avoid any awkward moments between them.

Ryan probably doesn’t buy any of it, just huffs and puffs and acts moody. Spencer and Ryan look at each other, silent signals flying between them, and then Spencer says, “Room switch.”

Brendon remembers wondering how that was possible, that Smith-Ross connection where they always understood each other without saying anything at all. It baffled Brendon when he first met them, but that was before he realised that Ryan and Spencer literally do speak without words.

“You’re mad at me when you guys use your powers all the fucking time too! Goddamn hypocrites!” he calls after them, and Ryan looks over his shoulder, eyes thinning dangerously. Shit, Brendon thinks, but it’s too late as Ryan stretches out his arm, palm open towards the bed, and the pillows fly to repeatedly hit Brendon’s head. “Not fair!” Brendon cries out, trying to beat down the pillows.

“Be lucky I’m not using bricks,” Ryan notes and leaves. Really, Ryan should be flattered that Brendon liked watching him shower.

The pillows fall idly on the bed, and Brendon pouts. Jon gives him a sympathetic smile, takes a sip of his beer, and says, “He’s just pissed off because he’s worried.”

And that, Brendon knows, is what the drama is about.

* * *

No one knows for sure just how many people possess supernatural abilities. It is not common, that’s for sure, and the fact that their band consists of freaks alone, is a miracle. Brendon always called them the Charmed Ones, but when Jon joined them and made the freak counter go up by one, it didn’t really work anymore. So when they dropped the exclamation mark, Brendon suggested that they should change the entire name to Awesome Mutant Freaks at the Disco, but the others wouldn’t let him. He then suggested The Charmed Ones Plus Jon at the Disco, but that was rejected as well.