1.2K 35 12

Next morning, you got up very early due to loud noises outside the Motel.

" Keep the plank steady boy! " 

A man was yelling at somebody. It was the construction worker, unloading planks and woods out of their wagon, parked underneath your window, and carried them across the street. They were building an unfinished house sort of, no one really knew what it was going to be. You couldn't go back to sleep, therefore, you decided to get up and go outdoor for a refreshment. 

When you went outside, you surprisingly bumped into Mary-Beth, who was a step ahead you, leaving the Motel for a smoke break.

" Morning Y/N. "  She greeted, casually.

" Morning. "  You replied. 

She took a huge blow, and puffed the smoke so that her face surrounded by the white fog. You were glancing at her all the time. Poorly, she hasen't had an easy life. Her mother died due a terminal illness when she was a little girl. Her father could no longer carry the responsibility anymore after the mother's loss. So from young age, her father handed her to this shabby place. She has spent almost her youth here, before you even got familiar with the Motel. But she was the only, closest friend you could rely on. And she wasen't like the other girls in town, she's kind, and having a blessed heart. You didn't have anyone else by your side. Childhood memories are erased, it was totally blank in your head. There were only one thing you were aware of, that you both were brothel girls, who everybody distanced themselves from, except the perverse men. No one really looked after you, or treated you in a certain way you wished them to. Your thoughts and reflections got you to disappear from your current place, when Mary-Beth woke your sense back to where you belonged, by asking.

" How did it go with the customer yesterday? "   

" Fine, I had the luck on my side. "  

She laughed briefly, and blew another smoke. 

" Quite a young fella, called Kieran. O'Driscoll ", you added to your previous sentence. 

She stopped smoking, and turned her gaze towards you, then quickly back on the street.

" That name rings a bell, O'Driscoll, huh? "  

You were staring weirdly at her, did they have any kind of affiliation?

" Do you know him by any chance? "  you asked her.

She shrugged her shoulders carelessly, and continued.

" Nah, if you referring to body contacts or alike, no. But O'Driscolls are dangerous bandits. Everybody recognises them well. " 

The last piece of the puzzle was falling into place. No wonder why the owner begged you to take an extra care of that young man. He was one of the gang members. You've surely heard the name O'Driscoll before, but can't put a finger on where and when. Mary blew her last smoke, then threw the end of the cigarette on the muddy ground.

" They're all ruthless outlaws, who are having miserable faults in their lives. "  Mary emphasized. 

You would love to tell her your idea of disagreement in believing that they all were so cruel, and horrifying like the population is assuming them to be, but it was pointless. Mary was determined on her words and thoughts about those men. Therefore, you decided to change the topic overall.

" Did you manage to sell the silver hairpin I told you to? "  

She nodded.

" Yep, I sure did, and replaced the money back in my piggy bank. " 

You smiled, contented.

" I'm gonna head to the general shop, got some errands to perform, see you later I guess. "

" See you ", you answered back, watching her strolling away to the shop. 

The air was a bit chilly. But that didn't stop you from inhaling deeply, feeling the fresh, cool breeze through your nose and lungs, as you exhaled the old air out of your mouth. Then, you gazed over the town of Valentine, when a sudden, galloping sound, passed by you at high speed, and stopped outside the police station. People evacuated to the sides, gasping shockingly at the situation that happened. You yourself walked closer to have a glimpse of what was going on at the moment. A figure, seemed to be a man, was hogtied and stowed on the back of the rider's horse. 

" Let me go, you bastard! "  The attached man shouted to the rider, who dismounted his horse, and moved the man on his shoulder. 

You squinted your eyes on the rider, but he was wearing a black mask, that covered his face partly. smoothingly, you approached that area, and hid behind a wooden pillar. Peeking studiously at them both. The rider's features seemed familiar to your eyes. 

" I know who you are, and trust me, when I get released, I'll come after you! "  The man shouted once more.

" Pipe down will you! "  The rider yelled back at him, and carried him inside the station.

The citizens reverted to their chores again, pretending that nothing has happened. You on the other hand, were keen enough to examine this rider more closely, by waiting for him outside the station. You were assuming that this man is the same who saved Mary that night. And the only way to find out, is to wait for him to get out.

A couple of minutes later, the front door of the station opened. And the rider revealed himself. Your speculations were right. It was him, you were certain as he had removed the mask. He walked down the stairscase of that building, and ignored your presence totally, as he continued going to his horse. 

" Alright boy? "  he said, while patting lightly on his horse. 

Your heart was skipping faster than normal, beginning to get nervous. But firmly, decided to have a chat with him anyhow.

" Excuse me, sir? "  you started your sentence with, in hopes to get a welcoming respond.

He mounted his horse, and picked up a cigarette out of his leather and pelt satchel, then placed it between his lips. You were observing his current behavior. But you won't give up so easily, so you tried once more, only this time louder, and more serious in your tone.

" Excuse me, sir! "  

He lighten the match, and lit the cigarette with its glow, blowing a smoke in the air, then aimed his attention on you, finally. You adjusted yourself to his gaze. He rested his arms on the saddle, as he arched his back forward to face you closer, and said as cold as ice.

" If I were you miss, I would more likely avoid to talk with a man like me ". 

It felt like your soul left your body for few seconds when he replied in that careless, and unfriendly way. He turned his horse, and galloping in slow motion alongside the road that was leading him out of this town. You just couldn't give up now. Feeling how the flames, sparking inside, and to the way he denied you, as you clenched your hands into a fist, pacing rapidly in front of his horse, blocking his path. 

" I know you're a good man, sir! I witnessed how you helped my friend the other night! "

He dismounted his horse, annoyed, grasping tightly around your wrists, and upon your chest, pushing you away from the road onto the sidewalk. A remarkable line occured between his brows, then your eyes landed on his. An incorporated color of the bluest ocean and greenest mountain, shimmering delightfully, nearly like you were becoming hypnotized by those mesmerizing orbs.

" You're in my way! "  He stated strictly, and let go of your wrists. Getting back on his horse, as he spurred his horse at full speed, and diappeared into the horizon.