Chapter 9 - My Hero ! Again ...

I stared at the benches long and hard trying to find whatever it was that had caught my attention .

Suddenly , a zombie merged from
The benches and lunged at me .
Terrified , i let out a scream and looked around for a weapon . But there was nothing i could use .

The zombie tackled me to the ground and all i could do was avoid being bitten. And then i heard something like an explosion . The zombie stopped moving and fell on top of me . I squealed and immediately pushed him off .

As i stood up , i found myself face to face with my hero . It was Joe . He had shot the zombie .

Killing zombies is extremely difficult , because in order to kill them you had to aim at a specific part of the brain that was situated at the back of the head . So aiming at it was really hard , and if you miss you'd have caught their attention and put yourself in danger for nothing . We called it the K spot . K stands for Kill .

The zombies was dead but Joe wasn't done . He violently slapped me across the face sending me falling to the ground . Then he kicked me in the stomach . As i curled up in pain , he started dragging me out by my hair .

It was extremely painful , but i had no courage to complain . Joe was more than just angry , he was furious with me .

My body hit rocks and pebbles and all kinds of things that left bruises and cuts all over my body , add to that the pain in my head because he was pulling me by hair .

It stayed like that till we reached camp , at which point he threw me inside of his tent . I was about to get a beating .

He slid in the tent , taking his belt off . Then , using it as a whip, he whipped my arm , creating a wound that overflew with blood . He looked at me with angry eyes . Hatred spilling out of his face .

I know i broke the rules but was it really worth hating me ?

He left the tent and i heard him order everyone to pack up their gear because we needed to get a move on . And he was right , where ever there's one zombie , many will follow .

I took a cloth out of my bag and wrapped it around my wound waiting for him to come back in and give me my orders . But he never came so i left the tent and packed up my stuff with the rest of the guys .

When we were done , we went to get our bikes . As i was getting mine , Joe grabbed my arm and pushed me back .

" you're riding with me " he whispered in my ear . I didn't dare say no to him . I was in enough pain . My body was aching from the cuts and the bruises and my arm hurt most of all .

This time , i rode in front of him . He was letting me drive . He sat behind me , his arms around my waist and his cheek faced the top of my head .

" you're wearing my shirt " he whispered as we drove .

" yea . I'm sorry . There was nothing else to wear in the tent ." I apologized calmly , but on the inside i was terrified of getting another beating . Surprisingly though , he wasn't mad .

" no it's ok , it looks good on you " he complemented and i felt my cheeks go wildly red . This was the first time in years i've heard him say something good about me .

By the time Joe judged it was ok to stop , we were in an abandoned village .

We unloaded are stuff into the truck and took refuge in a small deserted apartment . I took my stuff then immediately sat down on the floor . I was in too much pain . Standing now seemed impossible . I closed my eyes and before i knew it i was asleep .

When i woke up , i was on a mattress and under a thick layer of covers . It felt so nice to finally have a relaxing place to rest . But wait how did i get here ?

I opened my eyes and saw Malefoy there sitting on a chair in the small
Bedroom .

" what happened ?" I asked in a whisper .

" you fell asleep or i don't fainted maybe , so Joe carried you in here and tucked you in . He ordered us not to bother you and put me in charge of watching over you as you slept . Then he just left without saying why ." Explained Malefoy .

" oh " i muttered " well thanks for hanging around here , even though watching me sleep must've bored you out of your mind " i laughed .

" oh no " he said " you're beautiful , and you looked so peaceful so i had a good view ."

" thanks " i said blushing . Someone thinks i'm beautiful .

"You know Demi , i know we don't really know each other that much , but i really like you and i just wanted you to know that i'm here for you , whenever you need me ."

"Thanks Malefoy , that's really sweet of you ."

The door swung open and Joe came in carrying a big black bag .

"Malefoy out " he commanded and Malefoy immediately left closing the door behind him .

Fear crept inside of me . What if Joe wasn't done with me ? What if he wanted to beat me again ? But he didn't look angry .

" how are you feeling ?" He asked calmly .

" i'm fine " i lied , the fear fading away .

" you can't lie to me Demi . i know you too well ." He stated then sat next to me on the bed . " i looked around the village , there's a small hospital . It's all abandoned but i was able to find some useful stuff , like this ." He pulled out a first aid kit .

He set it on the side table and opened it . Then he reached into the bag again and handed me a loaf of bread .

"Eat it " he ordered and i did with pleasure . To us , bread was a luxury food .
I finished it off and he handed me two white pills .

" swallow them , it's for the pain " he informed .

Then he fished out some bandages and some other medical supplies i didn't know the name of and he started tending to my bruises and cuts .

In about half an hour , i felt a lot better .

Why was Joe doing this ? He never cared for the ones he beat up . So why me ?

After he was done , he put everything back in it's place and sat on the chair Malefoy was sitting on . He wrote something in his journal , then walked over and laid next to me . We fell asleep on the same bed .