Chapter 3 - Apples and Vans

It was a very poor village , with tin houses and , piled up garbage on every street and lots of stray dogs .

Demi and Joe found shelter in a wooden crate behind a dumpster in a deserted alley . Demi was scared , so Joe sang her favorite lullaby till they both fell asleep .

At 10 o'clock the next morning , Demi woke up alone . Joe was nowhere in site .

After 5 minutes of paralyzing fear Joe came running , and without saying anything , he grabbed her hand , pushed her up and dragged her behind him in a run .

He was heading towards a green van . The back door of set van was open .

Two merchants were loading it up With merchandise that was to be taken and sold in America .

The merchants weren't near their van though , they had left the back door open to put in the last crate .

Which was huge and heavy .

Im fact at this very moment they were carrying it out from inside the store , and they were so focused on not dropping it that they didn't notice the two children sneaking inside the van , emptying one of the large boxes , climbing in it , then closing it from the inside .

Once they heard the door shutting , and the roar of the van's engine , both of the kids relaxed and opened the top of the box so they could breathe comfortably .

Joe handed Demi a loaf of bread an apple , and a bottle of water , but she refused to eat anything before hearing an explanation .

" well " started Joe " i woke up before you , so i set out to try and find us some food . I was able to steal two loafs of bread , two apples, and a bottle of water from a distracted shop keeper . And then on my way back i heard these two talking about driving with their stuff to America so i saw an opportunity to go back home ."

" well what if they catch us ?"

" then we run and find another way to go back home . Now eat i can hear your stomach growling "