Chapter 18 - The Stench

Eight Hours . Eight Hours on our bikes . I'm astonished that we didn't run out of gas yet . It would've been a disaster if we did seeing that we're in the middle of nowhere . Literally .

We were riding on a highway set in the middle of a beach . I have no idea how that happened .
Maybe this wasn't a beach . Maybe it became barren and sandy after suffering nuclear alterations .

There was no sign of life , or mutant life anywhere around , only the raging of our engines and the music of the waves crashing into the sand and then retracting as if afraid that the blond grains were going to hit it back .

Anyway , Joe signaled us to stop our vehicles . So we pulled up at the edge of the highway and watched as he walked alone towards a distant lump of sand . He told us to stay put and i for one was not going to disobey .

I didn't look at him as he walked away , i stared at my black converse.
For just a minute , i wanted to forget the world around me , ignore all the danger and have a shred of inner peace calm my spirit. But that didn't happen .
And when Joe came back , he told us to get our bikes and place them near the lump of sand he just came back from . I found that ridiculous and potentially painful but did not allow myself to complain . The last thing i needed right now was another beating .

Hulk , Greg and Joe carried their vehicles and finished the job quickly . Us girls , however , went through some trouble .

Malefoy , being the slowest of the men , was halfway back to us from the lump while Greg was helping Patricia with her bike , and Hulk with Maria's . Selena , having ridden with Patricia , walked silently behind them .

I tried to move my bike , but to no avail . It wouldn't budge . I tried again , harder than before , it shifted by an inch but then i ended up falling back to the sand .
Joe laughed a full hearted laugh , after witnessing the scene i just stared in . But i didn't spare him a glance . As far as i was concerned , he didn't deserve my attention .

I rose up from the sand , and feeling like a skyscraper < N.B : see what i did there ? ;) > And tried again , only for me to crumble down right back to the sand , like a skyscraper being demolished .

" i think you should stop doing that before you get a concussion . " laughed Joe . But again i ignored him .

"Here i'll do it ." He offered walking around to the bike " the trick is , to put your hands on the handles , and push it . That way it's kind of like riding it but you're walking instead ." He explained and took my bike over to the lump for me .

" hey , fancy walking with me ?" Invited Malefoy as he finally reached me .

" i would be delighted ." I smiled and bowed as if i was wearing one of those puffy old dresses .

Me and Maelfoy walked together to the lump. We didn't really talk . There was this serene silence between us that was only interrupted by the waves further attacking the beach .

When we finally got there , the small lump of sand turned out to be a small room , like the top of a circle , made of sand colored stone .

Well it was a long walk , it must've been really far away to be mistaken for a lump .
I looked around and saw no sign of the bikes .

From the corner of my eye , i saw a door open , Joe stepped out .

" we brought the bikes in , so no one can steal them . Wish there was room for the truck but as you can see , the door is too small ."

" what's in there ?" Asked Malefoy .

" why don't you come in and find out ?" Answered Joe with a cheerful grin .

We walked inside to see an empty dark room room , there were no windows and the only light came from a crack in the floor . Malefoy walked in and lifted the edge of the crack revealing a trap door , leading to a ladder leading to a big room . This must've been some sort of bomb shelter . We all climbed down to the room and Joe closed the hatch . We should be safe here for a few days , we can rest for a while and then continue our way to Wisconsin.

The room was big , it looked like a car garage . A door to what looked like a bathroom shone in a corner , two closets on one side , the bikes against a wall , and a vile odor filled the air .

Hulk, Greg , Maria , Selena and Patricia sat huddled in a corner and were laughing at something Hulk had said .

" we just need to ignore the smell ." Joe stated the obvious .

I walked around , something about the smell tugged at my heart . There was something scary about it . As i approached the door that looked like it hid a bathroom or something , the stench got stronger .

" Demi what are you doing ?"
Asked Joe but i didn't answer . I braced myself and reached for the door knob .

I pushed the door open , and the smell got ten times worse as it was freed . I looked for a light switch and when i finally found it and was able to see the source of the stench , i felt my blood freeze . Tears swelled in my eyes as my brain tried desperately to analyze the dreadful image before it .

I ran out of the room , tears staining my face and let out a scream so high and so petrified that it caught everyone , even me , by surprise .

I just couldn't believe what i had just seen . I screamed again, my tears felt like angry rain , my knees went weak , i felt myself fall but was caught from behind by two strong arms . Joe pushed me against his chest and kissed the top of my head as i continued crying . He kept whispering " it's ok " in my ear but it wasn't ok . It was horrible . All
My anger faded away and gave way to terror , grief , disgust and the urgent need to be held tightly and protectively , a need Joe was fulfilling perfectly .

I just couldn't believe that what i saw was real . I glanced back at the door and noticed that everyone was peeking inside . Patricia and Maria fainted , Selena and Malefoy went pale and sat down , unable to stand and Hulk and Greg were trying to wake the girls even though they looked as if about to gag .

I felt the world around me go dark , and knew that i was about to pass out as well , good .Unconsciousness in a situation like this is a bliss .

_______________________

Hey guys ! Hope you liked the chapter :)

New Chappie dance everyone !!!

Anyway , what do you think Demi and the others found in that room ? Leave me your guess in the comments and if you guess right you'll get a shoutout !!!

Thanks for reading :) gotta run now , bye all you lovely people !