Chapter 6 - Mutations and Hookers

Demi's POV

I was waiting for Joe to come back , i had bad news to tell him . We've been staying in an abandoned warehouse for almost three weeks . That's the longest we've ever stayed anywhere without having to run from either enemies or cops or other things .

Joe and the rest of the gang went on a motorbike ride through the nearby woods . It shouldn't be long till they come back .

I looked down at my outfit . Black leather . Wow . I never thought i'd be a gangster girl .

The year is 2021 . I am 16 , Joe is 17 and head of a gang . Humanity has started to perish . Pollution has caused the intoxication of nearly 99% of the world's aquatic wealth . Nuclear wars had happened a few years back . Everyone predicted that the use of nuclear weapons would end man kind , and how we wish these people were right . Some people , like me and Joe and our gang and a few thousands around the world survived unharmed .

But the rest ... Some died . But .... You know how animals sort of mutate to adapt to new environments , and how sometimes bugs gain an immunity to a certain pesticide if used constantly and with heavy doses ? Well same here , some humans have gained immunity , uranium cannot hurt them , but in order to gain that immunity they had to mutate . The mutation , much like it was for animals was not voluntary . It's amazing how the body can mutate itself to survive . And though the mutation of animals took several years , the mutation of humans was much quicker , because their bodies knew it was either a quick transformation or death . And nothing is done properly when it's rushed. So those mutants are now stuck in a state of zombiesm . They are brainless , soulless creatures who have no self awareness or sense of right and wrong . Their only goal is staying alive . So the body basically killed the soul in order to survive even though now it's a mindless creature . The selfishness of mankind has no limits , it would even kill itself to survive .

And a body needs nutrients , and since the nuclear wars wiped out most of the living creatures on earth , they usually target humans to eat their flesh .

And still , humans insist on civilization and politics , which is why the police is always on our tales , they want us in orphanages since we're both not yet of legal age .

I heard the roaring of engines approaching . I went outside to greet them . Greg and Hulk arrived first . Both huge muscly guys with bald heads and tons of tattoos everywhere . Then there was Maria , the blond girl with the beautiful blue eyes and the snow white skin , after came Malefoy

(N/B : yes i'm a potterhead) , the tall one with brown hair , a tan and honey eyes . And finally Joe and his new girlfriend Patricia riding on the same bike . I love Joe , he's my best-friend but the guy dates every girl he sees ! And even though he started dating Patricia last week , i saw him making out with Maria just last night . I don't know why , but there is not one girl we've met that hasn't fallen in love with him. He could make girls do whatever he likes and he took advantage of that to a heartless extent , plus he's mean and angry most of the time . He's definitely not the Joe i knew when i was younger but he was all the family i had left .

" Joe " i started walking towards him.

" what do you want Demi ?" He answered annoyed because i had just interrupted him while he was kissing Patricia .

" i have bad news and good news " i answered simply .

" good news first" he replied .

" well i got a message through a carrier pigeon from our friends near the river , apparently Rover Donbousky is dead "

" That's the best news i've heard in the last few months !" Cheered Hulk .

" yea that is pretty nice , that guy was a coward " retorted Greg .

" i just wish i could've been the one who put that dog to sleep !" Added Malefoy .

" how did he die ?" Asked Joe , a serious look never leaving his face. And if you haven't understood it yet , Rover is our enemy .

" well " i started nervously .

" spill it already you stupid girl !" Joe yelled at me viscously as usual.

"Zombies " i answered " and a mob of them is heading this way " i continued as calmly as possible .

Silence . Joe was thinking , and no one dared interrupt him .

"Patricia ,you drive the truck , it has your and Demi's bikes and our stuff in it . "

Patricia ran to the truck and turned on the engine . I could see my red bike sitting next to her pink bike in the back along with our bags .

They all started their engines and i just stood there waiting for Joe to tell me to get my bike . But he didn't . Patricia drove off first followed by Maria , Greg , Malefoy and Hulk .

"Joe i need my bike " i said since he just stood there starring at me .

" no you don't , now come here , you're riding with me ."

I stood there heartbroken . He had never asked me to ride with him before . He only asked his one night stands and short term girlfriends , so basically his hookers and sex toys to ride with him . And now he wanted me to do it ?! Did he really see me as nothing but a play thing ?

Tears filled my eyes , and my voice got stuck in my throat . I wouldn't move.

"But-"i started saying but he was getting angry .

" but nothing you idiot ! Get over here and don't you make me repeat myself again ! Do you hear me ?!" He yelled and i had no choice but to obey .

I rode in the back , my arms around his waste , my head on his back . We were catching up with the others . I felt sure that either Maria or Patricia would at least glare at me but they acted as if nothing was wrong . It was almost as if they expected this to happen. And i couldn't help myself from asking.

" Joe , why did you make me ride with you ?" I asked on the verge of tears .

"Because you're part of MY gang and you do as I say !" He snarled .

But no one else could hear us , the sound of the engines probably covered up our chatter .

" but-but Joe , you only ask your hookers to ride with you" i said now fully crying .

" yea so ? Think you're better than Maria and Patricia ? " he answered coldly .

" Joe please . We've been together since we were kids ! And we're still inseparable . You've told me about a thousand time that you'd always be my best friend ! And you know what ? I can live with being yelled at but i am not gonna be your one night stand ! It hurts to know that you'd think of me this way "

" well " he said calmly " that's not your choice to make now is it ?"

One time , there was a girl who didn't fall for him . Out of every girl he had ever seen , she was the only one not to fall for his charm and she refused to sleep with him. He shot her right between the eyes .

Of course the police thought it was some rapist . No one thought that Joe Jonas could ever be a killer . But he is . And a cold blooded one too .