Chapter 2 - The Escape

Demi was sleeping in the den . The children were not aloud in the house at night unless they are called there .

Joe sneaked into the den .

" Demi wake up " he whispered to the sleeping beauty .

Her eyes fluttered open and she seemed upset . In her dreams she was happy , she felt safe and jolly and being pulled out of such a wonderful place is never a carnival ride for Anyone .

But it had to be done .

" what is it Joe ?"

"Come with me " he grabbed her hand , pulled her out of bed and dragged her behind him . Together the kids ran to the backyard , where Joe had been secretly working on an underground tunnel . The reason to need a tunnel is that Davi had encircled his property with a tall electric fence . Climbing it was impossible and cutting the metal wires would take time and would draw attention , so , escape in mind , Joe worked every night for about a month now on a tunnel . During the night he would dig and at the break of dawn he would hide his work with a plant . A small leafy plant he did not know the name of , but did fantastically well at hiding the whole .

Davi and Thiago never noticed a thing and at the moment they were fast asleep .

He beckoned Demi to go through the tunnel first , he knew it was safe because he tried it the night before but came back for her .

Once they were both out , they broke into a run heading as far away as their little feet could take them from that terrible farm where they have been treated so cruelly .

Once they were far enough , they slowed their run into a walk and wandered inside a small village .