Chapter 10

heal·er

noun

something that alleviates a person's distress or anguish.

"time is the best healer"

Maybe he ended up allowing her anguish to be alleviated, maybe he ended up letting her distress end. Was that a healer's job? To let death take over?

Death was the best relief to some, but it always left some darkness behind.

Will made sure Dove was dead before anything, before he decided to report to Chiron. But it was as pointless as ever. Nico had felt her soul leave, could feel it on its way to the Underworld. What judgment would she get? Will was glad he didn't have to decide.

Morality was a subject that wouldn't have just answers until you're dead and gone.

He made sure her heart had stopped, made sure her body wasn't still alive despite her soul having left. And she was, in fact, dead. Her hands had already started to grown cold.

A healer. Had it been who he was as a healer to let her die? Had it been his job as a demigod to side with the gods, even if they had done this to her? Had that been how Luke had felt, how Ethan had?

He was on the side of the lesser evil.

Maybe that was why his story ended without another thought, maybe that was why he was written about anymore. Very few demigods lived long because it simply wasn't a good story. Nobody read a book to see someone through their golden years. They read to see their hardships, their death, their struggles and what made them a true hero. But at this point, all that was left were the golden years.

Maybe that was good. But even through the golden years, he saw more and more demigods die. Because one thing will always be for certain.

Healers can't save everyone, no matter how experienced they are. It was a hard lesson to learn, but Nico understood it in a different way. He knew that some deaths shouldn't be prevented. Some people were just at the end of their stories, they just weren't meant to live.

And at the end of this story, we see the end of a story cut short of a girl given a rotten life.

An: last chapter, sorry for being absent and updating short chapters lately. Life is chaotic but oh well. Thank you all for your reviews and sticking with the story, it means a lot