Chapter 4

It's not your fault, Nico. Anubis reminded his host for the tenth time. As Nico moved to the living room in a dull haze, he could hear the crying, could hear the pain of death. You weren't looking out because there shouldn't have been a reason to.

Nico stood before Bay, reached out his hand. "We're going to camp now. We're not staying the night."

Bay glanced towards the ceiling. "What happened?"

"You carry the girl or I will," Nico replied. "I'll give you ten seconds."

They didn't do it, Anubis reasoned. Don't take your anger out on him.

"Fine, fine." Bay moved to the other couch and picked the girl up, her limp arms falling about. "How are we going?"

Nico grabbed the boy's arm. "Don't let go with her." And with that, he let the shadows overcome them along with his guilt.

Whenever he shadow traveled to camp, Nico pictured home. He pictured the camp itself. But whenever he actually got there, he always landed in the infirmary. He had spent the most time there, had seen Will build it up after the infirmary of the Big House had been too small. It was his love's dream, so in turn, it was his own dream.

It was his home.

Bay fell back onto one of the beds, the girl's limp body falling beside him. By his face, Nico could tell firsthand that he had never shadow traveled before. Yet he still couldn't find it in himself to laugh.

"What was that?" Bay demanded, his hands shaking as he tried to steady himself. "Where are we?"

"Camp's infirmary." Nico looked around at the empty building, making sure to check each room. "Seems Will isn't here. I'll go get him if you wait here."

Do you trust him alone? Anubis asked.

I'll actually watch out for his soul. Nico started his walk to the Apollo cabin. I'll see wherever he goes. I can't mess up again. Too many deaths are on my hands.

Evan's death isn't your fault. Anubis replied, his voice low. Allan said it himself. He tripped and broke his skull open-

Shut up! Nico leaned against the nearest building and put his hands to his head. "Shut up, shut up, shut up-"

"Nico!" Almaji's excited voice made Nico jump out of his mental state. The boy came running up, having grown even taller since the last he had seen him. "You've been gone for weeks."

Almaji was well into his teenage years, a sight Nico still couldn't get used to. He had been tiny when camp took him off the streets, too tiny to be healthy. But ever since Will laid eyes on the kid, he made it his intentions to look out for him.

Almaji's godly parent still wasn't known. They knew his powers, knew how to deal with them. But nowhere in any textbook could they find the source behind them. Was it a dying god? Was it one that was hiding purposely?

"Hey, Al." Nico hugged him before pulling away. "Where's Will?"

"Sleeping in the Apollo cabin." Almaji tugged at his gloves, the old material having been used throughout the years to keep his life force from transferring to others. "The sun went down and he had no patients so he...crashed."

"Sounds like Will." Nico kept his attention on Bay's soul, which was pacing around the infirmary. "Why aren't you in bed?"

Almaji shrugged. "Late night walk?"

Nico raised an eyebrow. "Who were you sneaking out to see?"

"I wasn't... It isn't important." Almaji looked Nico over. "Why are you so upset? Are you okay?"

"Yeah..." Guilt was heart crushing. "I have to talk to Will. You get to bed. Tomorrow's going to be a long day."

Almaji raised an eyebrow. "What happened?"

"That's none of your importance." Nico hugged him again. "It's good to see you. But you have to go to bed." He frowned. "Have you been working out?"

Almaji pulled away. "So what if I have?"

"Nothing, nothing." Nico let him go. "Just get to bed. I really have to go talk to Will."

"Yeah, okay." Almaji stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Good night, Nico."

"Good night." Nico moved his own hands into his pockets as he stalked to the Apollo cabin, his boots kicking against any rouge pebbles and rocks. As he did, he could hear Almaji go his own way back to the Hades cabin.

You think he was doing something wrong? Anubis asked.

Most definitely. Nico glanced around. But I don't have time for that right now. He's a teenager.

You were a teenager when I possessed you for the first time. Anubis commented.

I doubt he's finding an Egyptian god. Nico got to the Apollo cabin and crept inside, finding Will fast asleep in his bunk. Wonder why he slept in here and not our room in the infirmary.

Anubis didn't provide an answer, nor did Nico care for one. He shook his husband awake without hesitation, knowing the crisis was more important than any sleep. "Will, wake up. I'm back."

"Nico...?" Will turned onto his back, his eyes half open. "What are you doing here?"

"Come on, I need you in doctor mode." Nico pulled him into a sitting position. "You've got two patients who need you."

Will's eyes snapped open. "Nico? What are you doing in here?"

Nico sighed. "As I said, patients. They need you. Get some shoes on and let's go."

"When did you get back?" Will fumbled around for shoes as he tried not to wake the other campers. "Who are the patients?"

"Two kids my quest was about." Nico looked around before picking up a sleeping Peyton, who was around seven years old but as small as he had been as a toddler. With him in his arms, Nico led Will out. "One has been unconscious all day. The other is...shady."

"Why's she unconscious?" Will asked. "What happened?"

Nico shrugged. "Try to get it out of him."

Will shook his head in exasperation. "He hasn't told you what's wrong?"

"Nope."

Will ran the rest of the way to the infirmary, leaving Nico to walk alone. He checked to make sure Almaji wasn't still about, made sure no other campers were going against the rules. As he grew into who he was today, Nico became one of the few adults left at camp to enforce the rules. They kept the younger ones safe, even if it meant being strict. And before he had known it, it had turned into a habit.

"Just me and you, Pey," Nico whispered, staring up at the moon above them. He hadn't used to, but now he preferred the sun any time of the day. "Will ran off again like usual. Doesn't even realize I'll have to go to the Underworld tomorrow."

Peyton didn't answer, his head against Nico's chest as he slept. As Nico finally got to the infirmary, he found Will already fussing over his new patients. And like old times, he became used to deaths aching in his heart, even of the young.