Chapter 2

"So, what's the story?" Percy whispered to Nico. They walked behind Bay, who carried the girl in his arms. Every so often, Percy would shout out where to turn. "What's Chiron got you doing that involves these two?"

Nico's dark eyes were just as Percy remembered. "There have been reports of rogue demigods, and you know how we've been trying to get them all training. I was watching them to make sure they were demigods before telling them. But apparently, the kid's father beat me to it."

"Do you think it's Hermes?" Percy asked, having noticed the boy's looks.

Nico nodded. "Yeah... I don't know about the girl, though. I don't even know how they know each other. But her lifeforce is weak."

Percy rubbed at his tired face. "You think she'll live?" How many demigods had he seen die? How many could he have saved?

Nico nodded. "She needs food and water. Once we get back to camp Will can take it from there."

Percy smirked at him. "So... How's Will?"

Nico rolled his eyes. "You're a grown man but still somehow act like a sex-crazed teenager."

Percy pouted. "That was rude."

"It was the truth." Nico glanced up at his old friend. "But yes, he's fine. Hephestus kids are thinking up some great things to try to help."

"That's good." Percy put a hand on Nico's shoulder but it was soon shrugged off. "You'll know they'll make it work. They've got to."

Nico looked down at the concrete below them. "Yeah...maybe..."

Percy gave Nico one last look before jogging to catch up with Bay. "Hey, it's this next house. Let's get inside before my neighbors report me again."

He's still the same. Anubis commented, his voice no stranger to Nico. He hasn't changed.

No, he hasn't. Nico agreed, starting to hum to himself as he saw Percy lead the boy into his home. He's still same old Percy. Everyone else is the same, too.

That's not true. Anubis seemed amused. You've changed in many ways, Nico.

How so? Nico asked as he stepped into the house, closing the door behind him. I'm still the scary son of Hades that new campers hate.

Before Anubis could respond, two twin boys barreled into the room. They each hugged one of Nico's legs, shouts of "Uncle Nico!" filling the room.

"Hey, guys." Nico ruffled their hair with his pale hands. "Long time no see. How are my favorite nephews?"

That's how you changed. Anubis decided. They aren't even technically related to you. But you treat them like they were. You hated kids at one point in time.

Nico ignored Anubis's logic as he caught up with each of the boys. Evan and Allan, both a perfect mix of their parents. They were around five or six, with in-shape bodies and tanned skin.

"Nico." Annabeth was suddenly in one of the doorways. "Long time no see... We need you in the living room. Boys, go play in your room."

Evan's head snapped over to his mother. "But Uncle Nico is here!"

"We need his help," Annabeth explained. "If you ask I'm sure he'll spend time with you right after."

Allan tightened his grip on Nico. "Will you?"

Nico looked at Annabeth for a minute more before looking down to the two boys. "Sure. But you got to do what your mom said so I can go help her and your dad."

Evan and Allan looked at each other before talking simultaneously. "That's not a promise."

Nico sighed. "You definately take after your father. Fine, I promise. Now go play upstairs."

The boys finally went upstairs soon after, leaving Nico free to walk to Annabeth. "So, how's the girl?"

Annabeth kept her arms crossed. "You're not going in there to help. You're explaining how you somehow got us involved in this stuff again. I told you not to go running to Percy everytime you need help."

Nico rolled his eyes at his old friend. "Relax. He ran into it himself."

"Why am I not surprised..." Annabeth pinched the bridge of her nose. "He didn't explain anything to me, as you can see. What gods want to mess with us now?"

"I'm thinking Hermes," Nico told her what had happened, or as much as he was there to see. When he was finished, Annabeth looked even more stressed.

"That deal all those years ago..." she gestured to the room behind her. "Those kids should have been claimed at camp."

"I know." Nico nodded. "I know. That's why I was on the case. Two demigod teenagers that weren't claimed... Chiron had me come check it out to make sure."

"At least that makes sense." Annabeth moved to the kitchen. "Come with me to make them some soup. It goes better on a stomach that hasn't had anything to eat."

Nico rolled his eyes but followed. "Why me?"

"Because Percy is trying to get the kid to talk to him," Annabeth explained. "I'm thinking you take them to camp tomorrow, let them rest in actual beds tonight. Then you can take them to Will and he can look them over better. I could see they were dehydrated, malnourished, and Bay has some PTSD going on."

"What do you think it's from?" Nico asked. "From when I started watching them they just seem like regular homeless kids."

"I don't know but we'll figure it out." Annabeth started to make the soup. "That's why I'm talking to you and not Percy. He's-"

"A Seaweed Brain."

"He's just Percy." she finished. "And you're used to things like this. So our brains can eventually figure it out. And you've got Anubis somewhere in there."

Nico sighed as Anubis was drawn into the conversation. We don't need you. You were just mentioned.

And I was mentioned why?

We were making fun of you. "What could they have gotten PTSD from? Bay said his father abandoned them. That's probably why they're homeless. He didn't say anything else."

"You were two strangers. He wouldn't have told you everything." Annabeth replied. "But you are the detective here. So go watch them or something."

"I go by secret agent." Nico corrected her. "Like in those movies with the-"

"Nico, your nerd is showing." Annabeth flung some of the cold soup at him. "Get going."

Nico wiped the soup of his face. "Well, your straight is showing."

"That doesn't make sense."

"It does in my mind."

"What, your nerdy mind?"

Nico groaned in frustration. "Fine, I'm going!" He flipped her off before exiting the room, leaving behind a chuckling Annabeth.