Chapter 9

Filling in Nico and Chiron turned out to be the easiest thing he had to do, though it didn't feel as so at the time. Chiron's anxiety showed through the flicking of his tail, the way his old eyes moved about. Nico showed more anger at the gods than usual.

Then there was the cabin meeting. All head counselors were there, except for Percy and Annabeth who were back at their apartment. They wanted to be done with all this, they didn't need any more deaths. They begged not to be notified about anything else, and they weren't.

With the two well-known heroes out of commision, they were down one counselor and had a replacement. The new Athena head counselor was a teenage girl around sixteen, with looks too similar to Annabeth's.

Will tried to ignore the absences. Annabeth and Percy, Jason...

Maybe demigods really were alive only to die.

The story was told two or three times, the facts coming straight from Will's mouth. He told them what he had speculated, what Bay had told him. He explained how if they didn't do this, a girl would die. If they did do it, however, Gaea's weapon would be as healthy as new.

Maybe Nico had been right all those years ago. Maybe some deaths couldn't be prevented.

They had almost come to agree on this when Will stood up, his desperate eyes landing on Chiron's. "But we could find Almaji's dad."

Chiron's weary eyes met Will's. He had seen too many heroes die before their time. Had he become immune yet? "If you're sure about going, you have to have two other volunteers."

"Nico will go with me!" Will looked to his husband, who sat with his feet propped up on the table. "We can figure out everything we need for Almaji's sake."

"You've done fine raising him up until now." the son of Hephestus cut in. Randal White. "He's fine. Why go on this stupid quest?"

Nico looked in his husband's eyes. "You know he's right."

Will ran a hand through his tangled hair. "But if we could get him normal... And then if we really could save Dove and she ended up on our side..."

"Or the Second Giant War will start all over again," Nico muttered, crossing his arms. "You know that, Will. I know you're a healer but you have to think about what could happen. Consequences."

"Don't talk to me like I'm your kid." Will cut in. "I'm your husband. I'm not a child."

"Then act like it."

"That's enough." Chiron gestured for Will to sit down. "We didn't come here to fight. We're here to discuss what we, as heroes, should do now that a situation has come up."

"And we shouldn't risk our lives for someone who doesn't deserve it." Nico summed up, his eyes never leaving Will's. "We all know that. If you grant Will this quest, he needs two others to go with him. He doesn't have that."

Chiron looked to Will. "You can't go alone, son of Apollo. The quest is off until you have two volunteers."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will stood on the porch of the Big House, his blue eyes cast on the strawberry fields as he felt his anger burst in waves. All lives were worth saving. He could say that to anyone, could justify it anywhere. Any religion, any beliefs. You believe in the Greeks? Then you believe they made everyone, including the dying. You believe in one God? Then you believe that he made everyone, even the miserable.

All lives were worth saving.

"Will." Nico stood next to him and leaned against the porch railing. "I'm sorry."

"Are you going to go with me?"

"Will..." Nico sighed. "No, I'm not."

"Then I don't want your apology." Will clenched his jaw. "I know you see death every day. I know you're used to it. But it's still worth fighting against."

"Not if her life will lead to more deaths," Nico argued. "Think of how many people can die if she chooses to avenge her mother."

"Think of how much good she can do if she doesn't!"

Nico went to retort when his face went pale, his dark eyes filling with shadows. Maybe some things were meant to be. That didn't make them hurt any less.