Chapter 3

Bay looked up when Nico entered the room, pulling the blanket tighter around his shoulders. Instead of telling his story to Percy like he was going to, he clamped his mouth shut and looked down at his lap.

"Annabeth's making them some food," Nico told Percy, ignoring the look he was getting from Bay. "How's it going in here?"

"It was going...okay." Percy had laid down the girl on one couch and had Bay sitting on the other. The boy in question was shivering beneath the blanket, his eyes as cold as his body. "We're getting somewhere."

"Good." Nico cleared his throat. "Annabeth thinks they should sleep here tonight so they can emotionally and physically rest. Then we can take them to camp tomorrow."

"And how do you know I want to go to camp?" Bay asked.

"The way you said your dad abandoned you," Nico replied easily. "You hate the situation you're in. Camp can help. Food, a place to stay, training. You'll be safe from monsters and weird humans."

Bay scowled. "What right do you-"

"And it'll keep that girl alive." Nico finished. "I'm a son of Hades. Her life force is weak as fuck."

"Language," Percy hissed.

Bay stared at Nico for some time before looking to Percy. "If I go to camp, I won't be able to leave. And I have to. My dad gave me something to do before he left. And I have to. Or Dovie won't ever get better."

"It's not just malnourishment?" Nico asked, his eyes moving to the girl. "What is it? Maybe we can help. My husband is a healer."

Bay looked back to Nico. "He is?"

Nico nodded. "He's at camp."

"Then...then we can go." Bay decided. "It's possible he can help...that's good..."

His dad said something about it. Anubis reminded Nico. Did you hear him? He said his father said what to do before he left.

I know. Nico looked down at the carpet beneath his feet. I don't trust him.

Me neither.

"Awesome." Percy clapped his hands together, not having noticed Nico's silence. "Annie will bring you soup. Just relax for now and we'll take you to camp in the morning."

Nico fingered the staff hanging from his belt, having found comfort in having it close than stashed away in his Daut locker. It hung beside his sword, tugging down his belt with the weight. "I'll go visit your kids, I guess."

Percy turned to him. "So you're staying the night?"

Nico nodded. "I'm still on a mission, remember? I'll stick with it until we get to camp tomorrow." He walked from the room, passing Annabeth who was carrying a tray of bowls. "Annie, I have to talk to you later. I'm going upstairs before Evan drenches me with some water shit he learned from Percy."

Annabeth chuckled as they both stopped in the doorway, her facing the living room while he faced the hallway. "Okay..." Her shoulder touched his, her mouth moved to his ear as her voice died down. "What's wrong?"

"Don't trust that kid." Nico started walking again, kept his hand on his staff. "I mean it, Annabeth."

"I heard you, Nico." Annabeth took the soup to Bay as Nico ascended the staircase, soon getting to the bedroom the twins shared.

"Open up, you little rascals." Nico jiggled the locked doorknob. "Don't make me break this door. Your mom will kill me."

Allan cracked the door open, his head poking out. "Uncle Nico."

"You going to let me in?" Nico asked. He eyed the quieter twin, tried to think of what they could be planning. "What, is Evan trying to prank me?"

Allan shook his head, his voice shaking almost as much as he was. "We were going to prank mom and dad."

Nico frowned when he saw how serious the kid was. He kneeled in front of him, their eyes becoming level. "Allan...tell me what happened"

"Promise you won't tell?"

"That depends," Nico admitted. "But if it's something bad then you need to tell me. You need to, kid."

A tear wormed its way down Allan's cheek. "Evan's hurt."

Time froze. Shadows came around, covered Nico's vision. Souls were visible, souls of all those in the house. He could see the soul of his nephew, could see how it continued to dim until there was nothing left.

"PERCY!" Nico shot into the room, knocking Allan down in the process. He found himself in the small bathroom, found himself kneeling next to a full bathtub. "What did you two do?!"

Allan started to sob. "We wanted to trick them but we didn't have kool-aid to make the water red. Then Evan fell and hit his head... I was scared to get someone."

Nico looked over at him, felt his heart drop into his stomach. How the fuck hadn't he noticed the soul become so weak?