Barney Stinson- Secret (c)

How I Met Your Mother One Shot

"What?" The four people exclaimed.

You stood awkwardly, holding your six-month-old baby who was beyond interested in all the new people she could stare at.

"Do you need me to say it again?" Barney asked.

The redheaded woman shook her head. "No, we understood the words, but we certainly didn't get the sincerity of it."

Barney shrugged his shoulders. "There's nothing more to it. This Y/N, I guess my girlfriend and our daughter Y/D/N."

You gave them a nervous smile. Barney had told you all about his four friends, but you'd never met them. Your relationship hadn't started on the most conventional of terms, but you were happy now but being alone without interference was what he wanted at first. He liked having you to yourself but now that your daughter had reached six months, he decided that you should meet his friends whom he'd been lying to about you.

"Did you hook up with an Armenian girl last week?" The taller man asked.

"I lied. Have done for over a year. Every time I was hooking up with a girl, I was going home to Y/N and Y/D/N."

"How did you meet?" The brunette woman asked.

Barney turned to you to see whether you were taking the question and you nodded to gesture you would.

"Well we had a one-night stand, I fell for one of his ploys and we assumed it would end about there. I woke up, he was gone, you know. I felt kind of stupid, but I forgot about it, then I realised I was pregnant, so I tracked him down and told him. He ran for the hills, a week later he turned up at my doorstep with everything for a baby anyone could ever need and said he wanted to be there as his dad wasn't there for him. And I guess in getting to know each other to share parenting roles, we just kind of clicked," you smiled.

The other man cocked an eyebrow at Barney.

"Are you joking?" He asked. "How much did Barney pay you to lie to us?"

"He said you'd ask me that," you laughed. "He didn't pay me. I'm a lawyer, he doesn't have to pay me, I have enough of my own money. Believe me it shocked me when he said he wanted to be in our lives, I expected to be turned away and never see him again. He really has taken up the role as a father."

"Where do you work?" The tall man asked.

"Honeywell and Cootes," you stated.

The man's eyes became wide as he moved to sit at the edge of his seat.

"I've always wanted to work there. I've just become qualified, but I can't find any work in environmental law."

"Well I can put in a good word for you, well actually I can just hire you if you like," you offered.

"What?" He asked, confused and shocked.

"My father is Garrison Cootes, he gave his name to the firm. He left it to me when he went off the grid," you shrugged.

"Barney I like her," He exclaimed, making Barney smile as he wrapped an arm around your shoulders.

"I'm quite fond of her too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.