Chapter 9

Rose's POV:

I wake up after talking to Damian and immediately want to get ready to go back home. I see my door cracked open and a light shining through, indicating my mom was awake. Last night we had planned to leave early this morning, so I assumed that she was getting ready to drive me. I smiled and got up. After getting dressed and making myself look presentable, I headed to the kitchen. What I saw, shocked me. "Why, good morning, Prisoner 17." Olthen said with a smirk. He was sitting at my kitchen table, a cup of coffee on the table and the morning paper in his hand. A shiver shot through my veins and I felt sick to my stomach. Fear was what I felt next.

"Where's my mother, Olthen." I commanded him. My voice sounded more feeble than I wanted it to.

"Awe, poor Rose. Feeling helpless now that I've taken her away?" Olthen mocked me.

"If you touch her I swear I'll ki- ahhh!" I shrieked. I tried to use my powers, but I was shocked. I looked down at my ankle to see I had this dreaded anklet on... again. How had I not noticed it before? Maybe I'm used to it...

"Back in the saddle again, ey? I'm sure you're excited. I sure am. I would like to make a proposal to you, Rose." Olthen stood up and leaned against the wall.

"I'd never do anything for you." I stated.

"Not even to get your mom back? Along with your old life?" I stayed silent. "Listen, my proposal is that I will in fact give you your mother back if... you come with me in exchange. For only a period of time, of course." I looked down at my feet and then back to him.

"She'll be returned safely? Alive and healthy?" I glared at him with a small glimmer of hope in my eyes.

"Why of course." He smirked devilishly. I thought for a moment. I truly wanted to go back to Ben. I wish this had never happened. I wish Olthen was dead. I wish I could pierce my axe right into his skull. But I couldn't. Not if I valued my mothers life...

"Fine. I'll go with you. But my mother needs to be set free first. I want her here in this house before I go with you."

"But she already is." He pointed at the door to my mother's bedroom as I walked towards it and opened the door. I saw her tied up with a piece of duct tape on her mouth. I rushed over to her and set her free.

"R-Rose... it's Olthen he-" she began.

"I-I know, mom. I know. B-But I made a deal with him. You'll be free and I'll go with him. I-I can fix this, mom. But you have to trust me." I explained.

"Rose, you be careful. I trust you with my life, Rosie, but you need to be careful." She cautioned me.

"I promise, mom. I-I... I love you." I engulfed her into a hug. She wrapped her arms around me.

"I love you too, my Rose." I smiled with tears brimming my eyes. When we let go, I tried to compose myself. Without looking back, as I couldn't bear to, I walked up to Olthen.

"Ready?" He smirked. He knew exactly how I felt, but he really just wanted to dig his knife as deep into my heart as he could. I nodded, not saying another word to this... this monster. He put his arm around my shoulder and I flinched, becoming stiff. He smiled and began whistling as we walked to his van and left.