Chapter Forty-Nine

[Chapter Forty-Nine]

There was conflict stirring inside of Saros' chest after leaving Sirius in the woods and returning to his date with Angelina. The fact of the matter was, he didn't know if Sirius had been telling the truth or not when it came to his innocence. It was one thing that Saros' parents had lied about several things when he was younger, most of it pertaining to blood purity and muggle-borns. However, the world saw Sirius Black as a mass murderer and he was still technically on the run. There he was, practically hiding out in the open as an animagus and Saros had to be sure that more than likely he wasn't on the Animagus Registry. That was more than likely the only way he had escaped for so long.

And yet, Andromeda had been the one to send Saros on the task and he didn't know how he felt about that either. Then again, Saros hadn't allowed Sirius to tell him his side of the story, only because Sirius decided to take a jab at the Malfoy family upon introductions. That was another reason why Saros felt torn because while his parents had hurt him and while Draco wasn't talking to him, it didn't mean that Saros had automatically stopped loving them. As angry or upset as he was with them, part of him knew that if they all came to their senses and asked for an apology, he would more than likely forgive them right away.

That was how much he missed having them in his life. Even when he was away at school, his mother would send letters so often that it was almost considered on a daily basis. He certainly missed that and of course, his father would send letters as well which were always full of his horrible puns and jokes that either made Saros laugh or groan. He missed that the most, the feeling of being loved, rather than feeling like an outcast.

The worst of it all was his relationship with Draco and Sirius had reminded him of his greatest fear and that was losing his little brother. He still held out plenty of hope that Draco would see what he was talking about all along and then he would join Saros. But Sirius didn't seem to hold out that kind of faith in the Malfoys, already claiming that it was possible that Lucius was responsible for Harry's involvement in the Tournament and that it would be in Saros' best interest to just let Draco go.

But Saros remembered out on the lake, there was still that glimmer of hope that reflected when Saros became injured. There was Draco trying to keep him calm during the moment of panic and had assisted Saros to shore. Even if he left shortly after, it was still enough for Saros to believe that Draco could change. He wasn't sure what it would actually take, but there was always the hope that it wouldn't be something horrible such as what Saros had witnessed for his eyes to open.

"Hello? Earth to Saros, are you still in there?"

There was a slight tapping on his forehead that caused him to blink twice before looking up. Angelina was sitting across from him, her meal only half-finished as she had her lips pressed together in a thin line. She didn't look annoyed, but as usual, she looked concerned. Saros hated the fact that more often than not, Angelina looked worried about him and it was usually his fault that she looked that way so he couldn't blame her.