Chapter Twenty-Four

[Chapter Twenty-Four]

With the thick and heavy fog blanketing over the arena, Saros watched as the faces of the audience disappeared. The dragon had come to a halt as soon as she could no longer see out in front of her, but that only made her even angrier. Saros was still a threat to her eggs and now that she couldn't see him, she was going to have to track and hunt him down. Well aware that the dragon was not going to enjoy her new environmental conditions, Saros had already been moving, listening carefully. Only seconds later did a long blast of fire erupt and was aimed in the direction of where he had been initially standing.

She was listening to where he was going, the vibrations of his feet hitting the ground brought her to aim closer to where he was with every blast. Saros quickly found himself sweating from the heat of the fire that was tailing him as he had to keep moving in the direction of the nest. The last blast of fire though knocked him off course as the back of his trousers had been licked by the flames.

He swore under his breath, thankful not to feel any pain, but his entire prosthetic was exposed from the back, the goblin silver collecting droplets of moisture from the mist of the fog. The dragon was too close at the time and Saros had to be mindful as he got out of dodge by hiding behind a large boulder. The angrier the dragon became, the quicker her blasts of fire followed one another. She stomped around the arena, trying to find him while letting out several screechy calls into the air.

Saros could hear the sound of the audience going wild as they tried to figure out just what was taking place behind the curtain of fog. With his leg sliding out from under him due to the loose gravel, Saros ended up sliding forward, knocking a smaller rock to roll out of place. That was enough noise to alert the dragon as to where his whereabouts were.  She was getting closer and closer again before Saros fell back on his backup plan for assistance.

Aiming his wand up at the sky again, Saros called out the incantation, this time much louder than the previous one as he needed it to have a stronger effect.

"Metelojinx!"

As the Swedish Short-Snout was closing the distance between them, she was suddenly caught off guard by the loud rumble of thunder that roared through the air. The gaze of the audience trailed up towards the skies as there had been no signs of rain earlier, but from the sky began to descend a heavy rainfall. The fog started to disappear as heavier winds began to pick up from the storm that Saros had launched. However, the rain did not make it any easier to see, and the lightning that struck all around made it difficult to focus.

Every time there was a flash of light, the dragon turned her head, believing that it was another spell being launched from the nest intruder. However, each time she turned her head and saw nothing, she would swipe her tail in fury, crashing into whatever was closest to her at the time. The thunder continued to rumble loudly and that had been Saros' plan, to mask the sound of him travelling along as he started running again.