Chapter Thirty-One

[Chapter Thirty-One]

Saros could hardly believe it and he hoped with all of his might that his assumptions were correct pertaining to the golden egg and the Second Task clue. The sound that the selkie had made above water was unmistakable, ringing out as clear as day as the same noise that had emitted from his egg upon opening. It couldn't be a coincidence and perhaps it all made sense in some way. The First Task itself involving dragons had included fire, and if the Second Task was going in the direction of the merfolk in the Black Lake, he could gather that it was following the trend of elements. So the next task would more than likely include water, he just hoped that he was right and not blowing smoke from his arse.

Pulling Angelina along, Saros didn't think of any sort of consequences that would arise from bringing a Gryffindor student inside the Slytherin Common area, he didn't care either. All that mattered was that Angelina was in his company as he sought to figure out the clue. She seemed nervous though, the closer they got to the Common Room, the stronger she gripped his hand and she seemed to drag her feet to slow the pace. He attempted to reassure her several times that she would be fine, he wasn't going to let her get into trouble.

If anything happened, he would be sure to accept full responsibility and take all of the blame.

"Serpentine," he whispered under his breath to give the password before entering through the large door that led into the Slytherin Common Room. For a moment after they entered, Angelina came to a full halt, proving her strength as Saros could no longer pull her along against her will. He stood in place, watching as she seemed to take in the view of the Common Room. Rubbing the back of his head, Saros suddenly felt quite self-conscious about her reaction to the Slytherin living space.

He had heard rumours pertaining to the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff Common Rooms being competitors as to who shared the most comfortable area, from their squishy armchairs and roaring fireplaces. The Slytherin Common Room came across more as sophisticated in taste, rather than focused on levels of comfort. The sofas were made from black leather, often considered cold for anyone sitting down on them initially. It was dark too with the dark emerald tapestries hanging from the stone walls.

A limited amount of light came through the windows, due to the fact that they shared their space under the lake along with the merfolk. The only light that came through had to pass through the water first, which gave the inside of the area more of a greenish glow.

"It's probably not what you're used to, back in Gryffindor, I suppose," he said, clearing his voice awkwardly, " but you get used to it here. Everyone knows to bring a blanket if they're going to hang out on the sofas during the colder months, and the fireplace reaches where it needs to. It just looks colder in here, you know, it's the colouring really-"

"Saros, it's fine in here," she replied, sensing his nerves about how she viewed the area, " I didn't know what to expect whenever I thought about the Slytherin Common Room, to be honest. I mean, I've heard rumours but it's nothing like what I was told."