Aloud

Carmella kept her word. Once my parents had left, a car parked on the curb ten minutes later. I saw the car pull up and my stomach clenched. My eyes teared up from exhaustion. Sleep decided to abandon me. I hadn't been able to even eat.

I left the house and made sure the door was locked. When I got closer, a woman in a pantsuit stepped out of the car and opened the door for me. She was of average height with blonde hair pulled back in a high ponytail. She didn't look like a vampire, but I wasn't the best judge of that.

Getting closer, I gave her a small smile and slipped inside. It was a bit chilly and it was only then that I finally started feeling something. The woman closed the door of the car. Once she was back in, she drove me to the police station. She adjusted the temperature on the way, so it wasn't so cold.

The trip was faster than before. We arrived at the same entrance where Mr. Keys had greeted me. This time, there was no one waiting for me.

The woman turned on her seat. "I'll accompany you inside," she said. "Carmella was clear that you were to be protected."

"Th-thanks," I stammered out. " I won't take too long. "

"Shall we?"

I nodded. The car was turned off. She stepped out and opened the door for me. Would it be too late for introductions?

"I'm Rin," I told her.

"Yes, I know," she replied.

It was quiet inside. There was barely any noise. Why was it so quiet? It was creepy. My chauffeur walked me towards the cells briskly. It was as if she knew the entire layout of this place. At the entrance of the cells, she stopped.

"The Prince has been kept in isolation," she said. "No one will go in as long as I'm here."

"Alright."

I turned to the door and took a deep breath. All I needed to do was go in there and speak to Alexander. That's all I had to do and yet I couldn't step any further.

Just go inside, I told myself. Just get it over with.

My stomach clenched again. I glanced at my chauffeur. She stared straight ahead. Right. I was alone in this. Before I could change my mind, I took a step forward them another and another until I came to Alexander's cell.

He stood by the bars. I forced myself to look at him and my heart broke. He looked as he always had. Not a hair out of place. He wore different clothes. It seemed like his people were taking care of him. That was good.

"Missed me?" Alexander smirked.

My chin trembled. "H-hey," I croaked out.

I shuffled forward. Alexander watched all the while. It took me a moment before I could finally reach him. I grasped the bars, holding on for dear life. His fingers brushed my face. I leaned against his palm. 

"I thought your parents grounded you," Alexander began. "Did you sneak out again? I don't want them to think that I'm a bad influence on you." He chuckled.

I forced a smile. "No," I told him. "Well, yeah, no. Kind of."

"Which is it?"

How could he tease at a time like this? Didn't he know why I had come? Micah must have told him beforehand. Why wasn't he asking me anything? 

I shook my head. "They don't know I'm here," I confessed. "Don't worry. No one is going to find out that I was here."

This time, Alexander lifted my chin. "Are you getting into debt with people you shouldn't?" he asked.