Boredom

The Vampire Prince lounged lazily against white cushions. Women lay sprawled in angles around him. They were pale like pearls. Bite marks covered almost every inch of their bodies. Their hearts were faint flutters in their chest. It was almost comical.

Taking an unnecessary breath, the Prince tasted the dried blood on his lips. He hadn't bothered to wipe the blood from his chin or the rest of his body. What was the point?

It was so boring.

In the twenty years since the vampire had joined society, men and women had practically thrown themselves at his feet. Where were the screaming and the begging? How he longed for the day where the villagers would march to the castle with torches, crosses, holy water, and pitchforks only to be slaughtered like cattle in seconds. Those were the good old days.

The Prince sighed. It wasn't like he had room to complain. There wasn't any shortage of food and it was rude not to take offerings. He had to thank his father for his diplomatic intelligence. After all, the King had ordained that coexistence was the ultimate goal and hurting humans was punishable by true death.

However, not everything had gone according to plan.

Since the humans had entered a new era of technology and a craving for . . . well . . . power. It hadn't been easy for them to share the spotlight with a superior species. The human's reaction had been hilarious. There had been meetings after meetings with all the heads of state, countries, etc. to determine how to handle the situation. Policies and laws had to be made. Scientists flocked to them with their needles and test tubes and the King had allowed his people to be put in labs and under microscopes all for the goal of coexistence.

The King had allowed them to be tagged and kept under surveillance.

Human governments had the King eating out of their grimy hands.

It was all for the sake of peace, but the Prince knew better. There was never going to be peace. Since joining society, nothing had changed. The only difference now was that humans knew vampires lived among them. Perhaps the worst part of all was how the lesser, weaker vampires had jumped on the pig blood the humans package and sold. They had even entered the workforce as bodyguards and military soldiers for humans. No self-respecting vampire would ever work a weaker species.

The Prince couldn't fathom to why any vampire wanted to conform to human ideology? Vampire fed on humans and that's how it should continue to be. They didn't need to change. Besides, the Vampire Prince wasn't going to let his abilities weaken just to please the humans.

He shook his head in disgust. His father could play peacekeeper all he wanted. To the Prince, humans were nothing more than a weak species that were meant to be dominated. They needed to learn their place in life. It was only a matter of time before he took over. Once in power, it was goodbye alliance and hello world domination.

The doors to his bed chambers opened and the King's tenth wife walked in.

"This is where you've been," she said. "I should have known."

The Vampire Prince lifted his head just a fraction. "Aren't you a little too far from your spotlight, Violet?"

Violet walked across the obsidian floor in a red mermaid dress exposing pale white shoulders. A mane of black hair fell down her back. An emerald sat at the base of her throat. Ruby lips pursed in displeasure as red.

"They aren't your toys you know," she said. "They're diplomatic assets."

"You didn't knock," the Vampire Prince responded, ignoring her comment.

Violet bowed. "My apologies," she said. "As I was saying-"

"Blah, blah, blah," the Prince said, waving his hand dismissively. "They're assets, blah, blah, blah. You can leave now."

She didn't move. "Your father has summoned you."

The Prince slipped out of the bed and stalked towards her. "You can tell the King that if he wants to speak to me, he knows what he has to do."

Violet kept her face expressionless against the Prince's anger.

"He wishes to remind you that you must perform your duty -"

The Prince chuckled and looked up at the ceiling. "You said duty," he said.

Unfazed, Violet continued. "You cannot act like a child anymore. You have been neglecting your responsibilities as Crowned Prince. There have been many inquiries on whether it is wise for you to be the King's successor."

"Like the King will ever let that go anywhere." The Prince sneered at the thought. "All he has to do is remind those flies of who they serve."

"They don't serve us," Violet reminded him. "We are partners. The King has been working very hard to ensure that everyone is safe. Your actions have undermined that."

"Do you know why it's so boring?" the Prince asked, ignoring her. "Nothing ever happens. All the King does is talk about peace. It's revolting."

"I will not let you speak ill of the King. He is a great leader."

"Lousy father," the Prince muttered.

Violet's jaw clenched. Her fists shook with barely contained anger.

"Well," the Prince suddenly said. "I'm leaving."

"Where are you going?" she asked, taken by surprise.

His lips pulled into a predatory grin. "Where else?" he asked her. "I'm going to get a bite to eat."

"Hold it right there," Violet began to say.

Her words fell on deaf ears. The Vampire Prince was already gone.