Visitor

Sonia and I had our "meeting" in the living room. My room was completely off limits. We weren't close anymore. Even if Sonia apologized to me, I don't think we could ever go back to how it used to be.

While Sonia had never really expressed hatred towards vampires, I didn't know where she stood. I knew she didn't like them that much but she wasn't joining hate groups like Carlos and framing innocent vampires. Then again, that showed how little I knew Sonia. Now that I think about it, maybe we were just pretending to be each other's friends.

We sat on the couch, keeping plenty of space between us. It was awkward, to say the least. I was still waiting for someone to jump out saying this was all a joke.

"What exactly is Carlos planning on doing?" I asked. "How can he help?"

"Honestly, I don't know all the details," she admitted. "But, Carlos is more organized than he shows. He probably has secret codes or whatever."

"So, you don't actually know what he can do to help," I stated.

Sonia rubbed her face. "No, I don't. But, let's be real, you wouldn't have open your door to Carlos."

I looked away. "Actually, I would have."

Sonia raised an eyebrow.

"I called him the other day. I - it was for - the Vampire Prince is being framed by him and his 'friends' and I was hoping he would help."

"I told you already," Sonia sighed. "Carlos told me what you said. I confronted him in front of his parents and you know the rest."

"I'll give you Mr. Key's number," I told her. "He's the Prince's lawyer. Carlos can talk to him. "

I bit my lip. Why hadn't she mentioned how dangerous it would be for Carlos to testify? Well, actually, she hadn't said anything having Carlos testify. How exactly was he going to help?

"I'll give it to his parents," Sonia said. "They make him talk to Mr. Keys, was it?"

"Yeah."

Neither of us spoke. I was still in square one but there was progress. But, what if Carlos backed out? What if he warned the others? What if they just disappeared into the wind? Micah would have definitely won if they did that.

But . . . Alexander was a vampire. Was there really a prison that could a vampire? No one had advertised anything like that yet. That was a loaded topic to be sure. How was a court going to sentence a vampire? They aged differently from humans. Or that was what we had been lead to believe.

"I know what you're thinking," Sonia blurted out. "Carlos knows what he did was wrong. Have some faith in that at least."

Sonia stood abruptly. "Text me the number. I'll see myself out."

Just like that, she was gone. I wasn't given a chance to say anything. A part of me felt guilty but could she blame me? We wouldn't be in this mess if . . . It was best not to point fingers. I was at fault for this too. I should have told my parents as soon as Micah had contacted me. I couldn't say if everything would have turned out the same but there was no point in crying over spilled milk. What was done was done. 

I took a deep breath. My chest felt lighter. Maybe everything would turn out okay. If Carlos did go through with it . . . was it okay to hope? Feeling somewhat optimistic, I locked the front door before heading upstairs. There was something I should have done a long time ago. 

#

"You want what?" Mr. Keys asked. 

I sighed.