Confession

"What are you doing?"

"Hmm? Holding your hand."

"I can see that. Why?"

"You don't want me to?"

I looked around the hallway. For some reason, no one was looking at Alexander. He was probably doing some mind trick on them. 

"We are at school," I reminded him. "You aren't suppose to pretend to like me."

"When will you understand that I'm not pretending?"

I didn't say anything to him. Instead, I pulled my hand from his. Before he could grab my hand again, I opened my locker and took my time grabbing books. There was a squeal behind us. It was so high pitched, I flinched.

"Is that really necessary?" I asked.

Alexander smirked. "They see and hear what they want to," he said. "I don't do anything."

Sighing, I shook my head. It was just like him to not take responsibility for anything.

"I'll see you upstairs," I muttered and closed my locker.

Before I could take a step, Alexander grabbed my hand again.

"You can't leave my sight. I have to protect you."

"You can protect me without holding my hand."

I tugged at my hand but this time, he didn't release it.

"You know what I realized?" he asked.

"I don't really care."

"I realized that humans are so fragile," he said, ignoring my comment.

"You should be proud," I retorted. "The world already knows that but thanks for your observation."

"Humans are extremely fragile," he continued. "You get pushed down the stairs and your neck might snap. You squeezed too hard and their bones break "

Warily, I looked at him. He still held my hand and he was looking at it like an artist. I didn't like the look on his face. Before I could protest, he brushed his lips against the top of my hand. He was fond of doing that.

"What's your point?" I asked.

"It's why you shouldn't leave my side," he explained. "If I turn my back on you, you'll end up dead."

"I managed to survive this long without your protection," I reminded him.

"A mystery for the ages."

"Just, just let go."

"As you wish."

Grumbling, I walked past him and headed upstairs. I didn't know what was worse, the Vampire Prince of now or then. At least before, Alexander wasn't trying to hold my hand. A part of me missed that.

Alexander met me at the top of the stairs. He kept pace with me as I headed into the classroom.

"Rin," he said.

My stomach did a flip. I was probably still hungry.

"I need to ask you something."

"I'm not going out with you," I answered quickly.

"It's not that."

The tone of his voice made me frown. I stopped and turned to look at him.

"Do you believe in my innocence?" he asked.

"What? What brought this on?"

"Just answer. Do you believe I would crash a car and hurt all those people?"