Acceptance

A scream ripped out of my throat. My body reacted instinctively. I lashed out with my hand. A loud smack echoed as my hand made contact with the Prince's head. Not that it mattered. Pain shot up my arm.

Almost instantly, the curtains were ripped back. You wouldn't believe how happy I was to see Carlos. He took one good look at what was happening and grabbed the nearest object which happened to be the stool. My eyes widen as the metal flashed as Carlos brought it down upon the Prince's back.

The room seemed to take a deep breath. The Vampire Prince drew back with a snarl on his face. His eyes had darkened. Fear raged in my chest. I literally heard Carlos swallow. However, by that time, my scream had gathered an audience. Other students had formed a group behind Carlos.

Their eyes widened at the sight. I saw a few phones flash. How could they take pictures at a time like this? I spotted a few teachers pushing past the students. All the attention was fixed on the Vampire Prince. I took that time to roll off my seat and stand shocked still against the curtain. Running past a vampire was a stupid idea and impossible. Staying still and hoping he didn't remember you standing behind him seemed to be a better course of action. I didn't like it but then again, blood loss wasn't helping.

"What's going on here?"

I almost cheered as I heard the Principal's voice. It seemed to do the trick because the student body parted in the middle like a wave. Mrs. Albert walked to stand beside Carlos. I could see her eyes analyzing the situation from every angle. Her brown eyes narrowed.

"Mr. Alvarez, drop that weapon and step back."

"B-but . . ." Carlos began.

"Now." Her voice didn't give him any other choice.

"Ms. Borek, are you hurt?" she asked me.

I didn't trust myself to speak. Instead, I showed her my arm where some drop of blood and slid down my arm. Her pink lips pursed into a straight line.

"Mr. Flora, call the paramedics and the police," Mrs. Albert said. "As for you, Your Highness. I suggest you call your lawyer and let's settle this without much drama."

The Vampire Prince barked out a laugh. "Drama?" he asked. "I was just attacked by a human." He spat the last word out. "This will not end quietly."

"And you repeatedly attacked one of my students," she said calmly.

Wait, I thought. Don't tell me my parents called the school too? Who else did they tell?

"Don't flaunt your leverage at me," Mrs. Albert continued. "After all, you just broke a treaty and a slap on the wrist won't cut it." She waved her hand at the students behind her. "By now, the entire human race knows about what you did. You wouldn't want to escalate things now would you?"

Mrs. Albert was right. In a matter of minutes, the police and shown up and the media was just eating everything up. Even S.W.A.T. was called in along with some vampire federal people. I only knew that much because Sonia was kind enough to show me the news on her phone afterwards. Carlos was taken away somewhere and neither of us had heard anything. I was in the Guidance Counselor's office and I was lucky that Mrs. Albert and the police let Sonia stay with me. I knew she was worried about her cousin and she was answering her Aunt's repeated calls and those of her parents'.

"I'm sorry," Sonia said after we had watched the latest video update on the situation.

"I don't get it," I said. I scratched at the temporary bandage on my arm where the Vampire Prince had bit me. "Why me? All I did was hit him with my science book."