In Motion

It was a few days before my parents gave me a reply. Honestly, it wasn't much of a reply, to begin with. On Saturday, they decided to watch a film and I was to stay home because I was still grounded. They hovered near the door for maybe half an hour before finally walking outside. When the opened the door, I found Sonia and Carlos on the doorstep.

Both of them greeted my parents with warm smiles.

"Thank you for coming," my mom said. "With everything going on, I'm surprised your parents allowed you to come here."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Technically, I couldn't be mad that my mom thought the reason why Sonia and Carlos weren't allowed over was because it was dangerous. I should have told her that Sonia and I had a following out and Carlos was responsible for setting Alexander up. However, that would be too much to explain and she would want a thorough explanation. So would my dad and I didn't think I could give them a satisfactory answer.

Sonia and Carlos shared a glance.

"It's not that," Sonia told her. "We've all been busy."

I guessed she wanted to keep everything under wraps as well.

"Alright then," Dad said. "We should get going or we'll be late. There's some money on the table for you kids to order out."

"Thanks Dad."

I kissed them goodbye and watched them leave. A part of me wanted to kick Sonia and Carlos out but my parents had done this for me so I needed to play nice. They walked in and I locked the door behind them. Were they locked in here with me or I with them? I guessed it didn't matter.

"Let's head to the living room," I told them.

Without looking at them, I walked into the other room. I sat on the couch and they sat across from me. Carlos refused to meet my gaze.

"So this was your doing then?" Sonia asked. "Did you have to rope your parents into it as well?"

"They don't know," I told her. "But since you're here, I have a sort of proposition for you."

Sonia crossed her arms. "Just get to the point."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes again. I did need something from them so, for now, I had to be polite. For now.

I shifted my attention to Carlos. "I know you're not going to contact Mr. Keys. That's obvious so don't try to deny it."

Sonia opened her mouth.

"But," I continued, speaking over her.  "There's something useful you can actually do. Oh and don't worry, it doesn't require you to speak up and take responsibility."

"Hey!" Sonia stood up. "We didn't come here to -"

"Oh shut up," I interjected. "I'm talking to Carlos not you."

"Enough," Carlos said, standing. "Sonia. I want to hear what she has to say. It's not like she's wrong."

Sonia shot me a glare. "Fine." She turned on her heel and stalked towards the kitchen.

Only when Sonia left did Carlos sit. "Listen," he began.

"I don't care," I told him. "I don't care why you haven't talked to Mr. Keys or why you can't be a witness. I'm past that."

He nodded. "Alright then, what is it?"

I looked around the living room. "Do you know if we're being watched right now? Like there's a hidden mic or something?"

Carlos frowned. "I don't know," he answered. He grabbed his phone, messed with it a bit and placed it on the coffee table.

"If there was, not anymore," he explained. "There's this thing the guys and I created for situations like this."

That was smart. At least I could speak openly now. I took a deep breath. Carlos didn't know that Micah had used him or "the guys" as he called them. It time to change all that.

"There's something you need to know," I told him.

I told him everything. There was a few things I left out like the Mafia, the Prince's name, and some things about what Micah had done. Sonia kind of wandered over at some point and listened in. Carlos didn't speak for a long time. Neither did Sonia. She wandered back to the kitchen.

"For this to go away," I said, "we need to get a confession that he was behind all of this." I shrugged. "If you want to use that as a cover for what you did then I won't stop you. I was hoping you had a device or something that even a vampire can't identify."

Carlos wet his lips. "I might have something like that," he confessed.

"There's something else too."

"What would that be?"

"I need the Purists to broadcast the confession." I swallowed thickly. "Otherwise, nothing will be done about the entire situation."

Carlos didn't miss that. "You're saying that no vampires are going to -"

"I don't know," I interjected. "I don't know what's going to happen but I don't want to leave it to chance. Micah has to be the one held responsible."

"Well, what if the Prince -"

I gave him a look. "Let's not go there," I said. "We both know the truth about that topic."

Carlos didn't say anything.

"I ordered pizza," Sonia suddenly said from the kitchen. "Since we're here, we might as well take advantage of the free food."

Sonia had a knack for words. Neither Carlos nor I spoke for some time.

"I can't make any promises," he suddenly said, "but I'll get in contact with Pat and let her know a few things. Maybe she can help as well."

"I doubt she likes me very much," I told him, "but if that's the only way to get this to work then do what you need to. Just keep me posted."

"I will."