New Friends

Someone, kill me now.

The film was only thirty minutes in and it was dragging. Why would anyone watch this? Honestly, I didn't even know what the film was about. That would show me to trust Carlos with buying movie tickets. Then again, he wouldn't have known that I don't like those sappy vampire romance films. Sure, the industry had blown up since the vampires came out of hiding and joined society but there were other topics screenwriters could write about. I guess they were all about making money.

My gaze flickered to the screen as the  couple kissed each other for the tenth time during that same scene. I couldn't help but cringe. Why would he think I would like something like this? I rolled my head to the side. Carlos sat at the seat if the chair, leaned forward. Was he really enjoying this?

"When is Pat coming?" I whispered.

Carlos waved at me to hush. I raised an eyebrow at him. Was Pat really going to come? Or had he made the whole thing up? Why was he so engrossed in this? Something wasn't right.

"I'm going to the restroom," I muttered.

As quickly as I could, I hugged my purse to my chest, slipped out of my seat and out the room. While the seats weren't filled, I heard a few grumps of displeasure as I passed by them. It wasn't even that good a movie anyways. Outside if the room, I took out my cellphone.

I'm sure if I asked my dad to pick me up he would come without hesitation. However, that would be rude. Then again, this was getting ridiculous. At this point, Carlos probably lied to me. Pat didn't want to speak with me. She probably suspected I was trying to work both sides. It was better if I went home. 

Sighing, I shoved my cell phone back into my pocket. Maybe I was just being paranoid. Maybe Pat was on her way but she was stuck in traffic or something. Bedsides, hadn't I already decided to help the Prince? Carlos could be telling the truth. I could wait for another half hour. Yeah, I could do this. 

Carlos still sat at the edge of seat when I took my seat again. "What did I miss?" I whispered.

"Meeting the parents," he replied. 

I frowned at him. "That was fast," I muttered. "Who introduces their human boyfriend to their parents after like a week?"

"Shhh," he said, waving at me again.

This was going to be a long thirty  minutes. 

* * *

A loud crash echoed through the room. Everyone in the theater jumped up, looking around the room for the noise. 

"What was that?" Echoed throughout the room. 

Then the screaming started.

I jumped up from my seat. Carlos was right behind me. The fire alarm blared throughout the room, shrilling against my ear drums.  People rushed towards the exit at the back. I followed closely behind. Hands pushed against me. Somewhere in the crowd I lost sight of Carlos. I kept my purse tightly against me.

The crowd surged forward trying to get through the exit doors. The frame in the middle caught my arm as I was rushed through. I sucked in a sharp breath and held my arm against my chest. Even if I wanted to stop I couldn't.

The doors led to a hallway where the real exit to the building was to the right. The fire alarms were louder out here. I veered off to the left, letting everyone else run jog past me. There were a couple of parents carrying their kids.  I spotted Carlos in the crowd before he was swallowed up by all the faces. 

Staying on the outskirts, I moved to follow the crowd but a familiar face stopped me. It was only for a brief moment but it was enough. I came to a complete stopped and turned around. There, standing in the lobby, was the Prince. 

What was he doing here?

Then, that's when I saw it. There was a large truck, frame dented, with smoke rising from underneath the hood behind him.

"Rin," I heard Carlos say somewhere behind me.

This couldn't be happening. Why was the Prince here? He said he was innocent. So, why - ?

How could he have lied to me? I believed him. This, I wasn't going to stand for this. How could I have been so stupid? Of course the Prince was going to say anything in order to manipulate people. I should have known better.

Feeling my eyes sting, I stalked towards him. The Prince turned his back towards me, oblivious to my approach. When I reached him, I grabbed his arm and pulled him around.

"Was this all a joke to you?" I asked. "How could you lie to me?"

He turned around and my resolve faltered. This -

"What's your problem?" he asked.

I released his sleeve. Speechless, I took a step back.

"Who are you?"

The "Prince" crossed his arms. "Have you been living under a rock or something? How do you not know who I am?"

I continued to gape at him. "You - you're -"

"That's right mortal," the "Prince" continued. "Fall in awe before me and tremble. I am your new master."

He spread his arms wide, gesturing to the chaos. I looked around the room. The theater staff were looking over the concession stand counter at us. They had their phones out.

"No you aren't," I told him. "You are not a vampire. You are definitely not the Prince. You're just an imposter."

The "Prince" frowned at me. "What? No, I am the Prince. I can do whatever I want and get away with it."

As he talked, my face burned. This was fake and yet, I thought the Prince had lied to me. Guilt made my stomach drop. I knew one thing. I couldn't let this nonsense continue.

The "Prince" strutted around the lobby like he owned the place. It was faint but I could hear sirens in the distance.

"Hey, imposter," I said as loudly as I could. "The police are on their way and you're getting arrested. Drop the act already."

He turned around. "Who are you calling imposter?" he said loudly. "I am -"

"You're fake," I interjected. "Go home. Loser."

The imposter stalked towards me, his hands balled into fists beside him. He grabbed the front of my shirt.

"Who the hell are you?" he breathed on me. "I suggest you cut the - "

I slammed my knee into his groin. He cried out, dropping to his knees.

"If you were a real vampire, that wouldn't have worked on you."

Someone grabbed my arm. Yelping, I turned around ready to punch someone.

"It's me," Carlos cried out, dodging my fists.

I smacked him arm. "Don't sneak up on me."

The sirens grew closer. Moments later, blue and red lights flashed across the walls. Ambulances and fire trucks came to a stop in front of the theater. As I stood there, watching policemen swarm inside, I saw her.

Pat stood by the bathrooms, next to the concession stand, holding something in her hand. It looked like a camera of sorts. Our eyes met for a moment before a policeman obstructed my vision. He moved to the side but Pat was no longer there.