37. HUNGOVER IN MISERY

My stiff body ached as I turned awkwardly, half my body laying on the tilted bathroom floor while my head rested on a neatly folded towel. Clutching my temple, I blinked up at Rayne's sleeping form. Back against the wall, cradling the towel if been laying on.

Smiling up at him, I laid there a minute; wanting nothing more than to admire him like this forever. My hangover had other plans, one at a time I registered the ungodly smells and pain my body was in. The entire room smelt like turpentine and booze.

Woken by my slight shift, Rayne jolted awake. "You good?" He asked, brushing the hair off my face. Dropping back to the makeshift pillow in his lap, I held my head.

"It hurts so bad..." I whined.

Chuckling, he relaxed back against the wall. "Can't handle your liquore huh." Groaning in response, I attempted to move again. "Easy." Helping me upright, he stretched his long limbs.

"You didn't have to babysit, Rayne." Rubbing my arm, I turned towards the basin and glanced at my horrific reflection. Shuddering, I quickly ran some water and rinsed my face and mouth. Coating my toothbrush with toothpaste, I scrubbed the dead animal taste off my tongue. Why the fuck do people drink? Spitting and rinsing I repeated the process two more times.

Clasping my elbow, Rayne swivelled me to face him. Cupping the side of my face, he brushed his thumb over my cheek. "Was my turn to play nurse." Cracking a half smile, I pointed towards the door.

"Go, so I can fix myself before I give everyone in this house nightmares." Refusing to budge, he leaned his hip against the basin and folded his arms.

"Never seen anyone wear hungover like you do." Rolling my eyes I regretted the action immediately. Chuckling, he gripped my chin between his fingers. "Bellissima..." The heavily accented word fell from his lips slow and deliberate. Swallowing hard I watched his head lower, tilting to match mine.

"Joey-fuck!" Stilling we both listened to Macy's very loud appreciation of Joey's abilities for an uncomfortably long minute before clearing our throats. "Oh-my god!" Moans echoed trough the apartment, gripping my head I winced.

Scratching the back of his hair Rayne handed me a towel. "We should get something in you." Gawking at him, I looked away when he smirked. "I meant food." He clarified, both amused and pleased by where my dirty mind had darted to. "Later." He continued with a promise. Feeling my cheeks heat, I turned away closing my eyes at the heavy throbbing– that seemed to meet the tempo of Macy's heavy breathing–in my head.

"Let's just go already." I mumbled, tossing my towel over the lip of the bathtub. Arriving at the diner that I was quickly becoming a regular at, we ordered burgers and fries. The greasy food tempted my senses as I eagerly awaited our order.

A young girl– maybe sixteen– came up to us with a brown takeaway bag. "I'm so sorry there's just a short wait on your girlfriends order." She informed asking us to take a booth while they prepare it.

Stunned we both remained silent, neither of us daring to look at the other. "Uh-she's not my girlfriend." Rayne finally spoke, only his words felt more like a slap to the face. Turning bright red, the young girl apologised and led us to an empty booth.

Sliding into the seat, I watched Rayne. Then what were we? If this wasn't a relationship then what was it? "What are we Rayne?" I didn't have it in me to bullshit around the situation. I was tired and emotionally drained, I needed answers and some semblance of stability in my fucking life.