33. GIFT OF MISERY

Everything about the building made my skin crawl, digging my nails deep into my palms I sucked in a shallow breath. Surrounded by uniformed men and women that had vowed to serve and protect, I only felt hatred. "Your statement keeps him out of jail, but this implicates you if he has any involvement with the drugs beyond this." Gloriana, the lady who I now knew to be a detective, explained. "You need to think this through Giada. You can walk right now, no connection to him or what happened in that house. Just tell me the truth."

Blinking away from a trio of prostitutes, I looked at her. "You want me to destroy someone's life so you can add another star to that shiny badge?" Leaning back in my seat I smiled. "You have my statement. My friend was dragged into that crack house, shot up and left to die by the man who almost drugged and raped me. I left out the details of how I can still smell him on me and how I want to burn every inch of my body that he touched as it's most likely not of any concern to you." Her stern gaze softened for a split second, her mouth parting as though she wanted to offer something but reconsidered at the last moment. "Nobody read him his rights, you can let my friend out now."

Sighing, she nodded towards one of the officers. Instructing him to bring Raphael out, she moved to sit on the edge of her desk. "We're human too Giada, we make mistakes. You just gotta give us a chance to make it right." Her voice softened, something so guilt ridden carried her words. Commotion by the precinct entrance cut the moment short, undiscovered and incomplete. My skin tingled as Rayne's husky voice rippled through the building, silence beholding those around him. "Two Rossetti's in less than twenty-four hours, should we consider this the beginning of a reckoning." Raising an arm Gloriana gestured for the officers to let him through.

"Where is my brother." He demanded, unflinching and every bit the reckoning Gloriana had mentioned. Tears welled at my eyelids, staggering to my feet I launched myself towards his built form. Wanting nothing more then to disappear in him, I pressed closer fisting his shirt. His tense form never budged, the assurance I needed never came. Leaning back, I looked up to see his stony gaze fixed over me.

"Rayne-"

"My brother, now." He ordered, moving past me as though I weren't corporeal. Moderately sobered, Raphael appeared from behind a uniformed escort. Gripping his jacket collar in one hand, Rayne dragged him out of the precinct. Following, I failed to catch them before they cleared the stairs. Throwing Raphael against the side of his ride, Rayne pulled back a fisted hand. Clasping his arm, I glanced towards the officers reaching for their belts. Shaking my grip off himself he took an intimidating step towards me."I warned you- my family is off limits." He growled, torn between his volatile urges and the lines he could cross with me.

"Rayne you don't know-"

"Just fucking stop. You called the cops on my brother- the fucking cops." Scoffing he glanced up at the precinct. "Guess you're fine with them when they aren't messing with you."

My heart and mind both stilled in a moment of clarity. Rayne didn't value me anymore than he did Chloe. I had bared myself to him, exposing my vulnerabilities and insecurities and he'd used them as ammunition to remind me that ultimately I was just another lay to him. I had no right to his family, his problems, his pain.

Reaching into my back pocket, I pulled out Raphael's wallet. Holding Rayne's hand up I placed it in his palm. "You're welcome, your brother isn't OD'ed in some filthy corner of a godforsaken crack house." Releasing him as though his touch had charred my skin I left.

***

Watching the digital clock flick over from hour to hour I sat up against the wall. Being angry at me was one thing but avoiding me after fucking me was another. Logically this would be the moment I ball my eyes out and try to sort things out with Rayne, trying desperately to avoid any more confrontation. Yet, here I was wanting nothing more than to drive my fist through a wall. "Fucking asshole." I seethed, throwing the sheets off my legs I climbed off the bed.