27. FACES OF MISERY

The darkness that consumed Rayne was a product of loss and grief, it wasn't something you could truly ever escape. I understood the man that he was a little more; the wall he'd built wasn't to protect himself but others from the anger, resentment and pain he lived with.

"Don't hurt him." Sam's strong voice staggered on the warning, sounding more like a plea. "He won't come back from it this time." She admitted, worry creasing her gorgeous features—ageing her a decade.

"Sam, I'll give this one a shot but you gotta do me a solid and order another." Appearing from the back, carrying a small black engine, Rayne remained oblivious to the tension between Sam and I.

Tearing her eyes away from me she returned to the intimidating woman I'd met earlier. "I got it, I'll let you know when I find it." She confirmed.

Nodding, Rayne handed her some cash. Snatching the money from him she slapped the back of his head. Tucking the notes into his front pocket, she smirked. "See you tonight-" pausing to glance at me over her shoulder, she smiled. "She's good." Directing this to Rayne, she returned to the hood of a nearby car. Admitting something with his eyes, Rayne let silence be the only response to Sam's opinion.

I couldn't stop thinking about the wall of memories that encased so much hurt, it was all too much. Following Rayne to his ride, I slipped into the front seat silently. I still couldn't pacify the need for Rayne to share his pain with me; but at the same time I couldn't bring myself to torturing him with questions that forced him to relive whatever tragedy had stolen his smile.

The second Rayne fell into the driver's seat, I clasped his hand— unable to curb the instinct. Confusion creased his forehead, despite this he didn't request an explanation nor did he deny me the innocent contact. The noisy vibration of my phone interrupted the silence; digging into my pocket I retrieved the device.

A lengthy message from Macy held my attention for a few minutes; yet I was still totally aware of Rayne's firm, warm grip on my hand. This comforted me, knowing he was there. Watching him, I cautiously explained the message. "Macy, sent me a shopping list...mind if we go shopping?" Treading carefully, I waited for his response. Nodding, he took a detour on our return.

Arriving at a large complex, we made our way into the shops. Hunting down the items on Macy's list was both time consuming and exhausting. The items were complex and exotic, requiring me to ask shop assistants if they stocked those specific products. Glancing longingly at the freezers full of ice cream, I frowned down at the list. "What's wrong?" Blocking, my path Rayne urged us to the side. Recovering quickly from finally hearing his voice— after having fallen victim to his silent treatment for the last few hours— I held my phone out to him.

"Ice cream isn't on the list, Macy will flip- she thinks it gross." Pouting, I watched the selection of frozen treats. Chuckling, he clasped my hand and lead me towards the freezers.

"She doesn't have to know." He stated. Picking a flavour excitedly, I scanned the list. I couldn't even pronounce some of the things on it. Suggesting I take a beat to rest, Rayne left me with the trolley full of food in search for several herbs. Smiling down at the tub of ice cream, I tormented myself with the idea of being Rayne's. Behind his sluty extra curricular activities, he was irresistible— the perfect guy. 

"Mummy? M...mummy?!" The small cries of a child pulled me from my fantasies. Calling for her mother she searched the empty aisle, afraid and alone. Tensing, I felt a familiar ache of abandonment claw through my chest.