45. The Most Beautiful Moments In Life

^Be prepared for tons of pictures of the wee little baby Jayde^

Thomas POV

Moments earlier

"Who's next of kin?" 

The nurse asked as we walked alongside Matty when they brought him into the OR. I looked behind me at Wesley and he stops walking. Together we make direct eye contact and although he didn't say anything verbally, I knew exactly what he was thinking. 

'take care of them,'

I give him a slight nod and turn my attention back to Matty, who's eyes roll to the back of his head as he fades away from me once more.

"Come on, hang in there Kitten," I tell him as I grip his hand in mine and we reach the OR doors. 

The doctors had both Wesley and I suit up in bright pink scrubs to set us apart from the other doctors and nurses dressed in blue. I stayed by Matty's side and followed their direction. Holding his hand and gently combing my fingers through his hair. 

When his water broke, it couldn't drain fast enough due to the unnaturally small size of his birth canal and he fainted from the pressure. Some doctors also added that men aren't capable of handling the high level of pain that comes with giving birth but Matty's not just an ordinary guy.

His eyes remained closed as he laid down on the table and the doctors went to work. A large blue sheet divided us so I was with Matty's top half was his lower half was being operated on.

"Why won't he wake up?" I asked the nurses, not wanting him to miss out on the opportunity to see our daughter for the first time and bond with her. 

"It's probably just the pain medications he's on. I wouldn't worry too much, you're here and you'll be able to hold the baby for him. She's almost here, why don't you take off your shirt," The doctor asked and I gulped. The nurse helped me untie the back of my pink scrubs but I looked down at my prosthetic legs with a slight frown. 

I felt steady on these legs but what about when the baby's in my arms? What if I drop her? What if I squeeze her too tight? What if I don't hold her right? I mean Matty and I practiced with a football but Jaydean isn't a football. 

I took my shirt off just as I heard the one shrilled cry I had been waiting nine months to hear. 

"Congratulations, it's a girl!" The doctor says and I blinked a few times as I heard the unbelievably beautiful cry for the very first time. Her cry wasn't an ahh or a screech like normal babies. Instead, she made a gentle 'la' like sound as if she was a lost sheep, waiting to find her parents.  

"Do you want to cut the cord?" The doctor asked and I nodded, walking over to the other side where Matty was open on the table. My focus wasn't on the fact that my fiance's insides were being displayed. It was the small baby in his hands that stole my heart the moment I saw her. 

The doctors handed me the scissors and I cut the cord before little Jaydean was whisked away by a few nurses who cleared the liquid from her throat and covered her in a blanket before handing her back to me. 

The nurse held little Jaydean over to my open arms like she had done this a hundred times before but Jaydean was my one and only. I accepted her into my arms and held her to my chest with her skin touching my skin. 

"Welcome to the world nugget," I cooed, tearing up a bit as I looked down and saw her beautiful little face which instantly reminded me of her mommy. But What stood out the most was her full head of wet hair and in the bright OR lights, it was easy to see it wasn't a shade or light brown or blonde, but a bright red. Her little eyes were on the lighter side, scanning all over the place as if she was so lost.