21. Shellshock

"Tell me Maxx isn't her father," 

I carefully palmed an extra hot grande apple cider from Starbucks in my cold hands. Playing around with the little green stopper that went into the hole of the cup as I sat on the hood of Thomas' car. Watching the LA sun rising on the horizon over the coast from a shoulder off the highway.

Thomas watched me as I took the stopper out, flicking it to the ground while I took a long hot sip. My silence the only thing creating this immense tension between the two of us. 

It had been a week since the incident at Maxx's place and we were still recovering. If you could call the constant changing of bandages, Thomas going into a semi-coma for five days, and my constant nightmares 'recovering'. 

I pulled the cider away from my plump lips before tilting my head in his direction. His eyes caught the glittering sunlight making them appear lighter than they usually are. His handsome face furrowed with fear and worried mixed together into an overwhelming lost look. 

I took in a deep breath while resting a hand on my fluttering stomach. My baby girl now making me feel like she was scraping the inner lining of my stomach with a spoon. She had the rest of the day to do this to me but of course, she chooses now.

 Because if there's one trait she's stolen from me so far, it's her excellent sense of timing. 

God, she really needs a name so I can start yelling at her in my head with full emphasis on every syllable of her name. 

I'm sure the frustration on my face directed at my unborn daughter was not calming my boyfriend's nerves in any way shape or form so I finally give him the answer.

The only answer I would ever give Thomas.

The truth.

"Hell to the mother fucking no," 

I finally reveal and he nearly faints with relief. 

"Oh thank god," he huffs as he doubles over his knees and lets out a long breath while I sip my delicious apple cider as if nothing happened.

"I mean, I'd still love her. I'd just have to worry about never letting that dumbass anywhere near you two," He grunts and I hooked his arm around his shoulder.

"Well lucky for you, cause we never have to see him again," I say and he leans against the hood with his arms now crossed. 

"That's a relief," He sighs. 

"Why were you there that night?" I asked, knowing we still hadn't talked about what had happened at the party because he was busy sleeping off his injuries.

"I had this strange gut feeling the moment you left that something wasn't right. You were pregnant, alone, and going to you soon to be ex-boyfriend's house. And to top it all off I don't like nor do I trust Maxx. So naturally it didn't sit right with me and I followed you," He confessed with a slight hint of embarrassment on the last sentence.  

"You could have died,"

The four words that had been sitting on my brain and weighing down my heart finally drift through my lips and Thomas turned to me. He placed himself in front of the rising sun and in between my open legs with a smile.

"But I didn't," 

He replied with ease and I averted my gaze to the tiny pebbled on the floor because if I focused on him and how thankful I am for him to standing here in front of me, I was gonna cry again.

And no one wants that.

"But you could have," 

I repeated but this time his large hands took my chin and turned it towards him so I was forced to make eye contact.

"But it didn't. Don't stress out about all the shit that could have happened when I'm right here, standing before you, still breathing. I'm not going anywhere, I never will," Thomas before leaning forward and sealing his promise with a single kiss. 

I rested my cider on the hood of the car and kissed him with my arms wrapped around his neck as he reached out and took my waist. I could feel the ocean breeze flowing between us and prayed it cooled the warmth in my cheeks and the butterflies in my stomach. But he just had to deepen our kiss, making me groan with pleasure I haven't felt in what felt like ages and the heat warmed my face as well as other places this time. 

I tried to wrap my legs around him but he quickly broke our kiss, gasping with pain and I quickly realize that my thick thigh had squeezed against his stitches.  

"Oh my god sweetheart, I'm so fucking sorry," I frantically apologized to him as he rested his head on my shoulder and held his side in pain. I ran my fingers against the soft freshly shaved back of his head, trying to relax his tense body as he waited for the pain to subside.

"It's okay, it was fun while it lasted," He groans as he pecked my neck, letting me know he was better now.

"We sound like an old married couple now," I giggled as he pulled away just enough to kiss me one more time.

"It certainly feels like it. Are you ready for today?" He asks, hinting to the Glaad awards we had to perform at later tonight.

"I just want it to be over with already," I groaned as I took up my cider again and he hopped onto the hood to sit next to me.

"It's going to be a whole different ball game with the baby you know," 

"I know, trust me...I know,: 

 *********************************************

New cover??? Or keep the one I have?