12. Nesting

"You know, this is not how I imagined our first day together. I feel like I got the short end of the stick here," 

Thomas chuckles as I stuff tissues in my nostrils to keep them from pouring out like Niagra Falls.

"I'm sorry for showing you the real me. Can't be a sexy beast all the time, that would be exhausting," I point out and he returns to his schoolwork. Both of us were being lazy today, deciding to take the day off from practice to do school instead since all four of us are still seniors.

Our fame stemmed off a social media class my sister was taking. She was placed in a group with Thomas and Milo before getting permission to add me as their fourth. 

The class contest was simple. 

There were eight groups and each week we had to film and upload a cover video. The group with the lowest number of views was eliminated.

We expected a couple hundred views at most.

Until our first cover hit one million just a few hours after being posted.

Some said it was our raw talent, others said it was our good looks, and most boiled it down to luck.   

From there, we won the contest in the state, nation, and internationally. 

We had become a tight-knit group, especially after my sister's near-death experience which ended with her coming out as a transgender woman and Milo, who is also transgender, donating a kidney to save her life. 

After that, our fame and popularity grew out of control and we all had to switch from our private school to the homeschool program they offered so we could get our diplomas while on the road. 

"Did you see the lyrics Milo sent us?" Thomas asked out of curiosity while taking a break from writing an essay on his laptop. I put down The Kite Runner, which I was forced to read for an assignment and looked over his shoulder. 

"No, not yet," I said as I looked at the Google Keep notes he had open, a light blue one flagged from our boy.

"Dude, this shit is really emotional. I didn't know he was a big lyricist. I think we should record it and let him perform it at the GLAAD awards," He suggests and I steal his laptop from him, reading over what Milo had written.

"Holy shit, I think I'm going to cry," I gasp as I could feel the emotion in each word. The song was about how his mother never saw him as her son, only her daughter, and she died of a drug overdose without ever saying his chosen name. 

"I know, this is going to be so beautiful," he says and quickly types a response before going back to his essay. I take the tissues out of my nose and throw them away in the trash before curling back up to Thomas. Still feeling heartbroken as I tried to get through the stupid book so I could take the quiz online and be done with it. 

"How are you hanging in there kitten?" Thomas asks as he closed his laptop, lucky to be done for the day. I look up and pout with jealousy.

"Why kitten?" I ask, shifting higher up on his lap with the laptop gone and going back to my stupid book pretending to be innocent, he fans his fingers through my hair and scratches my scalp a little bit sending a joyful little shiver down my spine.

"Cause your hair is super soft and you purr when I touch you just right," He says and I could feel my cheeks get hot, and not in a feverish kind of way. 

"Why are you so fucking cute," I meant to say in my head but the cold had me saying stupid shit out loud instead. 

"Because I like you," He says and leans over to kiss me but I push him away and turn over, feeling a cough attack coming on as I waste all my energy hacking out a lung.