Chapter 26

Jesse was gone. I was alone. Taylor was here but I just wanted Jesse. I missed him now not being home all the time. Not seeing him like I used to is killing me.

"I can't believe it." I told Taylor as we sat in the big empty living room.

"Me neither, it's so crazy, are you okay?" She asked.

"I'll be alright, we'll be alright." The boys would come home from work later tonight and things would be better again. The boys had been working at Ellingson farm now for about 2 weeks. Things were good, that was the only place the boys had really gone. We had gone to the groceries store twice now. Once Jesse and I went and once josh and Jesse went. Trying to stay on the down low is really hard. I began to feel like Anne Frank, I just wanted out. I just wanted to go out and do something go meet people and just have fun. Nope. That's not the way things were anymore, us girls were pretty much stuck in a dump house all day.

Tonight is Friday night. Jesse was talking about doing something fun tonight but we were in hiding I don't really know what we could do. Hiding is what Taylor and I have begun to call it. It's not really hiding its more like being on the run. Finally the boys came home. They were pretty dirty. We had the water running but that was one of the only things that worked, since we didn't have to pay for it. We couldn't pay for electricity because then the people would know we were here. Jesse and josh both took showers.

"Hey sweetheart go get ready we're going to a bonfire." I smiled and didn't say anything. I was worried but I knew Jesse would keep me safe. I put on a pair of jean shorts and a tank top, and my boots. We all hopped in the truck and drove to the party.

We arrived at a farm.

"This is where I work." Jesse said pointing. We got out of the truck and Jesse acted like he knew everybody. He did.

"Hey guys this is my girlfriend Carly." The boys smiled and we shook hands. I got introduced to a lot of new people. We hung out most of the night with a blonde girl, who was really nice, and her boyfriend. Jesse and the guy, who's name was Daniel, talked. The blonde and I talked too.

"Daniel works with Jesse." Said Sam. We talked all night and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. Somebody with a big truck turned on the radio, Sam and I danced up on the tool box and it was just fun. We were all standing around talking, when "I don't dance" by Lee Brice came on. Jesse grabbed me and we danced.

"This is like the night we first met. This is even the same song." With one hand in his, and one hand on his chest, we danced. We danced like the world around us didn't matter. Like all the problems were gone. In the very moment everything was perfect. I never wanted it to stop. I knew that eventually it would.

"I love you." he whispered.

"I love you too." I whispered back. When the song ended I realized that a good majority of the people there had been watching us. Surely Jesse knew about it and didn't care. I smiled and we both walked over to another group of people.

"Carly, this is Jack. I work for him. Oh and this his son, Carter. I work with him." I smiled and shook hands with them both. Jesse talked while I stood there.

"Hey Jesse I got something I wanna show you!" Carter said. Jesse, this girl that carter was with, and I, all followed him into a big garage.

"Carter these are sweet!" Jesse said looking at a trailer full of four wheelers.

"Yea let's go!" Carter jumped up on the trailer and back a bright red one down. Jesse got up and backed down the bright green. Jesse nodded at me to get the other orange one.

"Are you really gonna go with them?" The skinny girl with bright blonde hair asked.

"Umm yea." I started the wheeler.

"Wow you realize your gonna go get all muddy right?" I looked at the girl, I couldn't believe it she had on boots. Like really. You wear boots and are scared of mud and can't do a little work yourself, what kind of country girl are you.

"Little mud never killed anybody." I said as I drove by her. I finally got caught up with the boys, who were slinging mud up everywhere. I followed em and began to do the same.

After a couple hours of screwing around on the wheelers we drove back up to the fire. There were a lot more people there now then we left. I glanced around not recognizing any of them. We put the four wheelers away and decided to head back to the trailer. It was dark and so I held Jesse's hand on the way down the gravel road to the truck. I saw the truck and there was something weird about it.

"Where is she?" a voice asked.

"Who's there?" Jesse asked. I was really scared now. The voice stepped into the light and I panicked. He had found us. Taylor's dad stood in the moonlight. I squeezed Jesse's had super tight. I began to shake.

"Just tell me where she is." he brought his hand up. It was silver and sparkled in the light. A gun. A pistol was clenched in between his fingers. I didn't know what to do. I stood there shaking while Jesse tried to handle it.

"I know that all of you ran away... if you don't tell me I'll kill you!" he screamed. Jesse never once let go of my hand. He stepped in front of me a little, shielding me. The tears began to roll down my face, but I didn't make any noise.

"Ok just put the gun down, nobody has to get hurt over this." Jesse said motioning with his free hand toward the gun.

"No! I want to know where Taylor is! I will kill you right here and now!" he yelled at shook the gun at us. For a second I thought about yelling, then I thought about screaming for help. I thought about running too, all realizing that somebody was gonna get hurt in the end.

"Stop! Tell me! If I shoot you somebody will have to come get you! Then she will tell them it was me! I'll shoot you both!" He screamed. I hoped that somebody would come, that somebody would hear his yelling. There was nothing though. Nobody, no help. Fear took over and my brain quit working. I couldn't hear them talk and yell. All I felt was Jesse's hand, holding mine the whole time. There was a loud noise. I came back to reality. Jesse's hand was no longer in mine. I screamed! Taylor's dad was gone. At first I thought I was alone, then I realized that all of it was actually happening.

"Jesse!" I screamed and cried shaking the body that laid in front me.

"Help!" The words barely came out. People finally came, in what felt like forever the ambulance and cops showed too. I stared at him, laying there. Lifeless. He was hauled up into the ambulance, the lights and sirens faded. I cried and screamed, but it felt like nobody was listening. A cop came. He grabbed me. He asked me all kinda of questions and I answered what I could.

Jesse though, had really been shot. I knew nothing, wether he was dead or if he was gonna be okay. I was so helpless now, because there I stood telling the cop what I remember. I didn't tell him about Jesse's hand. Yet, that was all I remember from the last few moments was how Jesse's hand felt. Josh and Taylor soon arrived. I still cried, I hadn't moved either. My feet stood before a big pool of bright red blood, Jesse's blood.